Tl125 Vs Tl250?

jeephoto

What, other than the obvious engine size, differences are there between the TL125 and the TL250?

I own a '75 TL125 that the previous owner competed in vintage trials with. I am not a competitor; I simply use it to learn new riding skills and easy trail riding. It is extremely low geared and easy to turn and balance. The suspension is very soft and spongy. I bought it simply because I got back into riding after a 20 year layoff and I always wanted a trials bike. I wanted a bike to ride with my sons.

However, as I have learned more about Honda trials bikes, I REALLY like the looks of the TL250. I would like a little more power that the 250 could give me. Are there differences in the gearing, suspension and ergonomics between the 125 vs 250?

I'm hearing that the TL125 is a better competition trials machine and the TL250 is more the trail-bike.

So, should I add a TL250 to my stable?

If your not into competition, take a look at the Reflex. Sounds like it would be just what your looking for. 200cc and a good sized seat. It's still a pretty light and nimble. Usually lots of them around in good shape and at reasonable prices.

I started to buy a Reflex, but the TL125 came up in Austin, so that's what I went with. I noticed the Reflex in Houston is street legal, Texas license plate and lights. Could be a small dual-sport bike?

Tell me about the Reflex? I can't find much about it on the 'net. Good bike? Aftermarket and parts availability is good? Any info on the web about it?

I might just check out the Reflex.

Larry

I'm hearing that the TL125 is a better competition trials machine and the TL250 is more the trail-bike.

So, should I add a TL250 to my stable?

I rode the TL 125 years ago as a kid and the 250 more recently in vintage competition. The 250 is a fair bit heavier and lower. As noted elsewhere, most prefer the 125 for trials work. The one exception may be for larger riders like myself who might tax the 125's tame power and be least effected by the 250's extra weight. The 250 isn't a lot lighter then my recently completed Ariel HT5 project!

Still, the 250 has an amazing hard pulling motor and had an ability to find traction that impressed other riders. A set of longer shocks gets the cases off the ground and quickens up the steering and I was lucky enough to get a few good results with it...but it's not for everyone. Of course, fifteen years of gas, oil changes and a few wear items only, is a tough act for any bike to follow!

Regards, Doug

Edited by huntmaster