scorpa leak

suzukitc120

not another victim of the dreaded ethanol in petrol rotting your tank.

how many others are having problems?

I bought a used 2004 Sherco 290 and I had to replace the fuel tank as the ethanol caused the tank to grow and push the rear fender back....the tank was like this when I bought the bike and I didn't know why. Then when I sold it and bought a new 2009 Sherco 3.2......the tank started to get soft and grow after about 4 months. I was able to get the 2009 tank back into shape by removing the fuel and letting it air out for about a month.

I have solved the problem by using 96 Octane Shell racing fuel in the Sherco.....which does not have any ethanol in it. In my lawn mowers and farm equipment I have solved the problem by finding a distributor that will deliver 87 octane gasoline for farm use that is not blended with ethanol. The distributor sells this fuel to farmers as the ethanol blended fuel does not store well in the above ground tanks or run well in older equipment. Some farm equipment can sit for months between use and the ethanol blended fuel can cause severe problems with corrosion and/or dissolving rubber parts. I have to buy 100 gallons of the farm fuel at a time - but with Sta-Bil added it keeps a long time and I am just using up the last of the fuel I bought 2 years ago and it runs fine. I have a couple of 55 gallon steel drums that I buy the fuel in and I keep them sealed up and transfer the fuel into 5 gallon cans for filling the mowers.

I have a friend that is a contractor and he has a gasoline powered welder, air compressor, straw blower, water pump, wood chipper, generator.......and he can never get them to start after they have sat for a few months unless he drains the fuel. He is making the switch to the ethanol free fuel so that his equipment will run when he needs it.

I don't mind using the ethanol blended fuel in my modern fuel injected car - as it was made to run on it and I go through a tank of gas every week. I do believe that we should be offered a chance to buy ethanol free fuel for our older equipment and motorcycle and cars that are not designed to ingest ethanol.

i've actually heard of a mechanic friend of mine that he suspects even modern cars will soon be having problems due to the ethanol content.

recent finding have found that even materials that where thought to be ethanol safe actually degrade too.

i wouldnt have minded as much if they'd have announced that the where introducing it into unleaded but they didnt. they just sneaked it in and one by one my bikes have been damaged. :angry:

surely there is something we can do about it?

• 5 weeks later...