Ossa TR280i frame

zippy

"This is glue, strong stuff!" Elwood Blues

I started to put up something the other day, till the puter crashed, yet for example, the main landing gear ali axles have been epoxy bonded to the tube gear legs on my Cessna since '76 without issue. They do have a security through bolt, but never seen one fail at the junction.

God only knows what they are using on these, but hopefully it holds for its intended purpose. Still yet sure someone finds a way to break something here, yet maybe the tube rather than the joint. Time will tell. :thumbup:

I started to put up something the other day, till the puter crashed, yet for example, the main landing gear ali axles have been epoxy bonded to the tube gear legs on my Cessna since '76 without issue. They do have a security through bolt, but never seen one fail at the junction.

God only knows what they are using on these, but hopefully it holds for its intended purpose. Still yet sure someone finds a way to break something here, yet maybe the tube rather than the joint. Time will tell. :thumbup:

Well if it is the same type of stuff that is on the Cessna I would bet the tube would fail first.

Alrighty I was able to see one of these in the metal at the MOTA Windsor Club event.

I will try to make this an enjoyable read.

The owner of said Ossa actually was looking for me specifically to check out the bike. I am still surprised when people seek me out for any reason. My reputation of being a cheap B*****D preceded me because he knew already that I was not interested in purchasing one. (or any other new bike for that matter)But he knew I was interested in the construction of the bike from a purely "how does this work" viewpoint. Basically a long winded way to say "The owner of this Ossa is a nice guy". Now on to the bike.

Just looking at it the machine looks good. The aesthetics in person are very nice. As far as how the cast aluminum pieces are attached to the CR-MO tubing, I am 99% sure it is some type of uber strong epoxy/glue type stuff. I did not know this next bit until looking at the bike. The headstock and the fuel tank are one cast aluminum piece. So I will assume that the walls of the fuel tank are fairly thick and sturdy, much like my head. The cast frame pieces have a bumpy texture, but I thought it gave them some character.

I had asked about the air filter, we are always worried about the cleanliness of the air filter. OK we are supposed to be anyways. The owner (OK I am bad with names and have an even worse memory, sorry) ahem I start again, The owner said that the filter does not get as dirty as quickly with it being located in the upper part of the frame, although he did say that it takes a bit of a system to remove the filter. There are a couple sensors and what nots in there that need to be disconnected and reconnected.

And then I take the bike for a ride. I decided it would be a good idea if I did NOT really thrash this bike and beat on it like my bike. I made this decision for 2 reasons. 1. It's not mine and 2. I did not look forward to telling Mrs. Zippy that I now need to spend much $$$ fixing somebody else's bike. Speaking with the owner, with the Ossa being fuel injected it is possible hook Mr. fancy laptop to the bike and change the ignition map. This gives options from smooth to fire breathing monster. Kickstarting reminded me a bit of the GasGas, seemed like a shortish swing with that little snap at the end of the kick. Now remember I took it easy on the bike so I don't know what it will do in the higher rev range, I also had to remind myself that this bike was set up for the owner, levers, suspension etc.. It putted around very well, balanced extremely easy, and I did go over a small stump. Engine responded as it should to get over the stump. The shift lever also reminded me of the GasGas, These are not good or bad things just a point of reference. Suspension seamed to do the business. I am at a bit of a disadvantage for evaluating suspension, I am riding a 2000 Sherco with the original suspension, I think the shock and forks are getting a bit wore out. Every new bike I try the rear end does not sink any where near as much as mine does when I get on it, and I have my spring wound almost to the top. Riding position seemed natural, I think I would rally enjoy riding one of these machines if I had one of my own and I could set up the personal controls specifically to me and I then I could really thrash the hell out of it.

Thank you for letting me take your new Ossa for a test ride. I think this bike could do well.

If you read this entire post to get to this sentence then I did my job of making this interesting. If I did not make it interesting, then lie to me and say it was.