Snails for TLR and TLs

ross brown

Some time ago I bought a pair of brand new snails that I just couldn't make work. I tried putting them on the Montesa but there was just not not enough thread left for the nut to bite onto the axle. No matter what the ads say about fitting so-and-so brand. The snails were too fat. So now they are key rings. Anxious not to repeat my poor buying when it came time for new snails for the twinshock (just how did the previous owner manage to take chunks out of, and twist, the current snails so?) I spoke to Vince at Vmar. As luck would have it he was looking to make a batch with 15mm axle holes that would fit old TLR/TL axles. Check out the machining... a fat 6mm wide but with a 2mm recess machined down around the axle nut/axle end to 4mm thick. They add zero width to the axle. ie same width as the original Honda Snails. Art. Wish I could make things that looked that good. And they would be better looking key rings too.

IMG_6026.gif

IMG_6041-1.gif

Some time ago I bought a pair of brand new snails that I just couldn't make work. I tried putting them on the Montesa but there was just not not enough thread left for the nut to bite onto the axle. No matter what the ads say about fitting so-and-so brand. The snails were too fat. So now they are key rings. Anxious not to repeat my poor buying when it came time for new snails for the twinshock (just how did the previous owner manage to take chunks out of, and twist, the current snails so?) I spoke to Vince at Vmar. As luck would have it he was looking to make a batch with 15mm axle holes that would fit old TLR/TL axles. Check out the machining... a fat 6mm wide but with a 2mm recess machined down around the axle nut/axle end to 4mm thick. They add zero width to the axle. ie same width as the original Honda Snails. Art. Wish I could make things that looked that good. And they would be better looking key rings too.

IMG_6026.gif

IMG_6041-1.gif

Are these available? If so where from?