Broken clutch cover

curt531

Hi all, just thought I would share my experiance,just got a Sherco 290 2011 model, not new, but less than a year old & great condition. Before I rode it I fitted a slow action throttle just to calm things a little as my other bike was a GasGas 250,2005. First impressions are what a fantastic bike ! Very impressed with the power & delivery, very smooth with only a subtle increase to bottom end power from the GG,it turns & stops better than the GG but then I hav'nt rode a new one,very pleased with it. :thumbup:

Now the bad bit, because the bash plate was very close to the clutch cover I have hit somthing and punched a hole in the cover <_< don't recall any big impacts but there you go,just bad luck.The good news is that the covers actualy can be welded ( thats what I do for a living )so I repaired it, hammered the bash plate out witch then split!!! so I welded that as well. finally when I refitted the plate I did it with a 3mm spacer on the rear mount points to give some clearance on the clutch cover.Now hopfully it will work without any hick ups, like my GG does B)

Hi all, just thought I would share my experiance,just got a Sherco 290 2011 model, not new, but less than a year old & great condition. Before I rode it I fitted a slow action throttle just to calm things a little as my other bike was a GasGas 250,2005. First impressions are what a fantastic bike ! Very impressed with the power & delivery, very smooth with only a subtle increase to bottom end power from the GG,it turns & stops better than the GG but then I hav'nt rode a new one,very pleased with it. :thumbup:

Now the bad bit, because the bash plate was very close to the clutch cover I have hit somthing and punched a hole in the cover <_< don't recall any big impacts but there you go,just bad luck.The good news is that the covers actualy can be welded ( thats what I do for a living )so I repaired it, hammered the bash plate out witch then split!!! so I welded that as well. finally when I refitted the plate I did it with a 3mm spacer on the rear mount points to give some clearance on the clutch cover.Now hopfully it will work without any hick ups, like my GG does B)

Hey dude, This is Adam, On the old sherco from ESTC, I am glad you have managed to fix your bike! you didn't seem best impressed on sunday when we worked out that it was gearbox oil!

The closeness of the bash to the clutch cover is something that has put me off going for a sherco again as my 2nd bike, especialy after doing 2 clutch covers on my 2001, although now with the slightly altered bashplate I think I am ok.....

Are you going to be riding the trial on saturday now then??

Adam

Hey dude, This is Adam, On the old sherco from ESTC, I am glad you have managed to fix your bike! you didn't seem best impressed on sunday when we worked out that it was gearbox oil!

The closeness of the bash to the clutch cover is something that has put me off going for a sherco again as my 2nd bike, especialy after doing 2 clutch covers on my 2001, although now with the slightly altered bashplate I think I am ok.....

Are you going to be riding the trial on saturday now then??

Adam

Hi Adam, yes I will be at ESTC this Saturday for my first trial ( weather permitting ! ) the 3mm spacer I fitted gives you about 12 mm at the clutch cover witch should be fine I think. ;)

Hi Adam, yes I will be at ESTC this Saturday for my first trial ( weather permitting ! ) the 3mm spacer I fitted gives you about 12 mm at the clutch cover witch should be fine I think. ;)

Bashplate musta been badly bent as I can fun the finger under mine no prob, never heard other accounts of this really.

Have cracked a cover on the rocks toward the side impact.

That skidplate is supposed to be ergal 7075 and good luck with the weld, hope it holds, as that stuff is tempramental at best. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

From which material are clutch and ignition cover made of?