Fuel Pipe Switch

chuckmorris

I have a brand new fuel valve right here in my hand. Straight down for the lever is ON. Push the lever in toward the center of the bike is OFF. Pull the lever out toward your right knee is RESERVE.

The orientation was a bit different on the older bikes as compared to my '07, cannot recall, yet I still think the turn the same but not sure, so down is ON, rotate lever counter clockwise(looking at it) is OFF, rest is simples. Mine has an O or R on top of the lever when set horizontal, obviously I have slept since then! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help guys. It looks like I've left the 'petcock' on for the last few days. :unsure:

A good way to check......is to turn the valve to what you think is the "RESERVE" position and start riding. If the engine stops in a minute or two - it is actually the "OFF" position.

Thanks for the help guys. It looks like I've left the 'petcock' on for the last few days. :unsure:

Should have been obvious with it being so stiff and all!! :D

I just had to be the one with the D**K joke.

I know the location of the petcock changed a little in later years but my 2000 is set on left side of the tank and very easy to get at. Lever pointing down is on, pointing to rear tire is off, and pointing to front tire is reserve.

Looked at it today and it has 'O' and 'R' on the lever.

Mine, which I now believe is 2001, pointing to the rear wheel is on, pointing to the floor is off and pointing to the front wheel is reserve.

Thanks for all your help.

Down is still always "ON", the O(when facing up) :rolleyes: stands for OFF!

I have always associated this term with brit origination, as we do not call it petrol in the first place, it is GAS! :thumbup:

You know I never realised that the "Pet" was short for Petrol :rotfl: .... I learn something new every day :blush: ... Thanks Cope :thumbup:

Best of balance.

Neo