Spokes

cmc84

Any one got a source for spokes for a 199a? Undecided whether to get stainless or regular steel (any advice here appreciated)- being tighter than 2 coats of paint, I think I'll go for plain steel and keep them clean, depends how flush I am at the end of the month. Going to have a bash at re-building the wheels myself. Should take my mind off the kickstart spring if nothing else....

Any one got a source for spokes for a 199a? Undecided whether to get stainless or regular steel (any advice here appreciated)- being tighter than 2 coats of paint, I think I'll go for plain steel and keep them clean, depends how flush I am at the end of the month. Going to have a bash at re-building the wheels myself. Should take my mind off the kickstart spring if nothing else....

Got mine from here spokes and nipples for Bultaco Calonder have them stock. He produces spokes and nipples, so you can get even get the nipples in alloy and the spokes in in stainless steel.

Got mine from here spokes and nipples for Bultaco Calonder have them stock. He produces spokes and nipples, so you can get even get the nipples in alloy and the spokes in in stainless steel.

hi i was readin your thread and i noticed you commented on the kick start return spring can you addvice me on putin one on as im just in the middle off tartin my 199A cheers chris

hi i was readin your thread and i noticed you commented on the kick start return spring can you addvice me on putin one on as im just in the middle off tartin my 199A cheers chris

Hi bondy, OK, how I de- and remount the kickstart spring 02:

First unscrew the securety nut made out of plate,

Second unscrew the second nut that holds the spring.

These are the nuts that are located right above the kickstart axle.

Third I unhook the spring from the bolt using a self made spring puller which I have made out of an spoke. The commercial ones look like this:

spring-puller.jpg

If you don't have a spring puller you can use a wire too, that you wrap around the spring end. The ends of the wire you can roll up on a wooden stick or metal bar so it's comfortable to pull. Now you can hang out the spring easy.

Now the spring is loose and it is now easier to pull out the spring from the kick starter shaft*.

To do so again you use the spring puller or the wire method mentioned above. If You have difficulties getting out the spring end, you can pull with the one hand and press* the other windings of the coil down, (with a screwdriver f.e.).

Then you should get loose your old spring.

The new spring just push it over the shaft the end wich is mountet to the pin to the upper right comes first over the kickstart shaft. To get the spring over the shaft you have to bend the front end upwards*.

Now take a narrow pliers and pull* the front end of the spring back until you can insert the spring wire in the hole of the kickstart shaft. Again it can be nessecary tu push down the other windings of the spring to get more space, (with a big srewdriver for example). As a plier I use the Knipex key pliers, one

of the best pliers you can get:

86033004.jpg

Some of the springs are probably too long as already mentioned here, if so, (luckyly haven't happend for me), you can shorten the spring end a little bit but the front spring end should be nearly as long as the diameter of the shaft.

After the front spring end is mounted in the kickstrat shaft hole, you now can strech the spring by hanging up the rear end on the pin using the spring puller or the wire.

No secure the spring with the both nuts, ready.

* you have to use some force but no jerky violence, than the spring will crack.

I dont't know If I have expressed the use of the screwdriver right,

here a scribble sketch that shows how to press down the other widings of the spring or press up the first for inserting the pin:

mounting%252520the%252520spring.jpg

Wow, P - nice sketch. I was under the impression that the way to do it was to place the hook end first, then wind the straight end around the shaft and poke it through the hole, but that was near as damn it impossible. Got my new spring yesterday so will try at the weekend...

One more thing, just to get my head around this - when you push the kick start, are you winding, or unwinding the spring?

Edited by CMC84