Model 80 any pics or which mods work best.

old trials fanatic

Just aquired a model 80 which i confess i dont know much about but it's clean enough so any piccys of what one should look like? In my ignorance i assumed it would have a slimline tank and seat but err it hasnt.

On a totally different subject you all know what i'm like and if i decide to use it, doubtful but still possible, what mods should i do? Dont really fancy choping the frame but just wondered if anybody had any ideas that arent irreversable?

Yes it should have a slimline tank/seat unit, picture below of my old M80 that I never got time to rebuild (wonder where it is now)

As far as mods, there isn't much you can do to it really unless you want to start altering it. They are what they are, never going to be a Fantic beater. Motors are good, torquey and pull well with plenty of revs. Chassis is typical old Bultaco, back end feels dead (but works) even with good shocks. Front end a bit soft, steering is a bit slow, they feel long but will turn tight, but if you get off line with them they aren't like an Ossa which you can just get straight back on line with a flick of the bars, they need a bit more room. Clutch is not as easy to adjust finitely as the springs are held by pins, unlike the later bikes which have nuts which allow the tension to be altered. However, they'll ride down to nothing (with no tickover) without the clutch having to be used.

Best you can do is just get everything working as it should, motor, brakes, clutch, suspension. There's not much point getting into heavy mods like steering, shock position, as you may as well just ride a later model. Just enjoy it for what it is - but it will be a bit of a culture shock after the Ossa...

post-71-0-81977700-1311634693.jpg

Yes it should have a slimline tank/seat unit, picture below of my old M80 that I never got time to rebuild (wonder where it is now)

That's a nice bike, need some TLC I believe.

I have seen two modified older Sherpa models that had some modifications on the todotrial and forums website, one is captured here:

todotrial

And the other one a Sherpa N here:

254C948B34294C90AF27244C90AF07.jpg

264C948B3E224C90AF32254C90AF11.jpg

To modify or not that's the question? As I understood you you don't want transform the bike completly just as far as it is later easy to get the bike back in it's original condition. That is a strategy I try to follow too, (with an earlier model). As Woody already posted it will not turn the bike to a complete winner but I think it's good for the personal self-affirmation of the builder and rider.

I would do some changes to the suspensions, there are good conversion kits from magical for the fork and a lot of aftermarket shocks available.

Maybe a switch to the OKO carb, as posted a couple of weeks ago this is a good improvement.

(this OKO24? OKO24)

Then probably the exhaust need's a rebuild because the unit'(s) are clogged with oily debris?

The guy's at Secciomotos in Barcelona are very good in rebuilding and tuning for Bultaco's exhausts.

Beside of this a good paint job, and small little improvements here that might be satisfying you too, like:

- grooved brake pads,

- lighter chain,

- paint job,

Hey Paul, I was trying to keep it cheap for you.... I can give you lots of 'budget-busting' ideas... :)

The M150 like Javier's is quite a bit different from the M80 and they are a tighter, more nimble feeling bike. The engine case, forks, swingarm are all standard for that model. Exhuast middle box is not standard - looks like a Miller ? Back box is standard for that model.

It is a pity we don't have the Pre72, Pre77 etc classes in the UK but I can just imagine the can of worms if we tried. The M80 is good for Midland Classic events though as they are only supposed to run Pre72 I think.

Hey Paul, I was trying to keep it cheap for you.... I can give you lots of 'budget-busting' ideas... :)

The M150 like Javier's is quite a bit different from the M80 and they are a tighter, more nimble feeling bike. The engine case, forks, swingarm are all standard for that model. Exhuast middle box is not standard - looks like a Miller ? Back box is standard for that model.

It is a pity we don't have the Pre72, Pre77 etc classes in the UK but I can just imagine the can of worms if we tried. The M80 is good for Midland Classic events though as they are only supposed to run Pre72 I think.

OOOPS!! sorry just showing my ignorance of Bultaco models. Was toying with the idea of changeing the forks yokes for later ones as i have a good set of early MAR fork legs in the garage and i believe the tubes fit the Bultaco Betor sliders. Dont like the taper forks or their yokes plus they need rechroming and i do have good non taper ones anyway. Do feel like doing something with the footrests as they just dont feel right. Also the wheels do look a bit heavy so as later ones are fairly freely available might be worth it?

As for Midland Classic events they arent in the picture for me i'm afraid as due to "political" reasons i'm not really welcome there. Just Dales and Peak Classic where all twinshocks and me are welcome :thumbup:

Just took the bike in as a swap and always fancied one since my first one all those years ago. As i said earlier though just really fancy replacing the Homerlite tank and seat with a proper slimline one but what with the current fibreglass problems it's not looking promising.

Suppose my problem is underneath it all i think i like fiddle bikes but they have to at least not look like one if you know what i mean ? :popcorn:

To the look of a bike, I think the eyes always goes with you while riding.

An easy to fit "trick" part that does not cost much money are fork bearings from ariete, they work much better then the standard singel / twin oil bearings, have less friction and less initial break torque. They come with an extra dust lip too. They fit together with with the old round dustcover.

For Betor and as twin lip bearing it's Ariete type DCY 35 X 47 X 10.

You can place some oil seal greae between the lips this will keep them much longer smooth and thight,

[url="http://www.yatego.com/ersatzteiltresen/p,4a20f837938a9,4a1ff2f5e381f8_9,gleitmittel-fett-f