Brand new Twinshock trials bikes

samy

My dad and a couple mates' dads who are old trials riders are getting on a bit but have thought about getting back into the sport after many years absent. They just want to ride easy clubman sections and maybe just do some observing. They have a dilema as they don't want to buy a new bike simply because they are a bit too snappy with the power, don't have modern engines & brakes & suspension and most importantly for the old fellas - there's no seat. They don't want an old bike because they're not very mechanically minded and don't want to be restoring or fixing things.

The only option it seems for them is to buy an old fully restored bike which commands top dollar, buy a bike with a long ride kit or get something like a Gas Gas Pampera cross over or even just get a simple non-trials trail bike.

Do you think there is a market for manufacturers to build and sell a modern trials machine that retains the looks and comfort of years past? Although i have a modern Sherco and am amazed by it's ability, i think it would be cool to also have the ability to buy a brand new twinshock bike with modern suspension, engine, hydro clutch & brakes etc. but looks old school.

Does anyone else think the same? Or am i just dreaming... If i could buy a brand spanking new Yamaha TY175 with all the modern gear but looks the same and has a nice big seat i think i might spring for one... :wub:

cheers

Yes, you are dreaming! You cannot have your cake and eat it, too!

Closest thing you might find would be a Scorpa Long Ride, which is a fine bike for the task, and I doubt the seating position much worse than an old Yam or Bultaco.

What they make up for in brakes, suspension, weight and handling is well worth the price over an old slug! :rolleyes:

They should buy something in the 90`s disk brakes, monoshock, just something clean. Not sure if you had any aprilia,s down there. Best bike with no seat and still a flywheel feel. I prefer the new bikes,But still love the old style pull. They just need to decide.

I can sort of see your point,but if you look around there are smart twinshocks around for a reasonable price - maybe more than you THINK you want to spend... BUT if you buy one the big difference is that it will hold onto its value or even go up.How many sports can do that ? My biggest non - recoverable cost in riding pre65 and twinshock events is the diesel to get there.

But even thats not great,the furthest I travel is about 100 miles to the Dartmoor 2 day,so not great.Compare that to many I know who regularly go to the bottom of Cornwall surfing.......

You can get 'brand new' pre -65 bikes with many modern features...

well at least I think you can as there are plenty of them in the classic trials!!!!!!

Seriously look at a little scorpa as others have mentioned... other than that you will need to get something a bit older, but the problem is they are nearly always knackered.

Apparently there is going to be a "new" class, the "evo twinshock" class. A/c monos with shocks, maybe that is the closest you will get ?? of course a/c mono is always an a/c mono. :rolleyes:

:popcorn:

Edited by bo drinker

I'm sure there is a very recent video somewhere maybe on another site or facebook/youtube of a the new scorpa 4t(125 or 200?) with a long range seat etc and as the video goes on the guy takes off the seat and does some sensible sections. Trouble is going to be new bike money.

A true new twin shock bike would be interesting but would need drum brakes to be eligible for true twinshock class and would probably more expensive than fully fettled tlr/fantic. Cotswold which I believe is what Chis Koch rides look very competitive.

Well Bo, thats a bit of a wind up bike "Innit" ! It would not be turned away from a Bath Classic trial as we dont do awards - but if we did then I guess it may be different.While I'm running it I want to let people decide in their own minds what is in the spirit of things according to the class heading,and ride what they decide is OK - That Yam clearly isnt a real twinshock.(Also have to say whilst I'm in the middle of building a bike pretty much from scratch that I cant see why anyone with the skills to build something like that would bother, seeing how it will be received at most trials)

What has irritated me is that in several,(Not all) cases "cheat" bikes are ridden by riders with enough talent to beat most people if they rode an FS1E on road tyres.Which then means that riders who are less talented just get more fed up and dont bother turning up.

I want to let people decide in their own minds what is in the spirit of things

That was what got me about Chris' bike. It's a work of art, it's clever and, IMO, possibly the best looking trials bike I have ever seen. It's (probably) in the rules. But is it in the spirit? I always assumed that twinshock trials or mx was about getting that bike you drooled over 30 yrs ago and having a good ride with yr mates. Maybe I misunderstood?

I guess i wasn't after anything specifically for twinshock class but more for clubman type stuff, you know the old guys that just want to turn up have a ride with some mates then go home without too much thought about winning a trophy.

Besides, there's nothing stopping the clubs from introducing another class for 'new' twinshocks is there? ;)

cheers

Edited by Samy