lower fork tube dented

awilliams64

put a small dent in my lower fork tube right at the top where the dust seal fits. I took it apart and it is cracked as well. Has anyone had any luck welding them? The seal was leaking or i would have just left it alone.

Ok, A lot of this may depend upon just where and how it is cracked, if the seal(and outer scrubber) bore is still round and such. Any pics? :rolleyes:

Ok, A lot of this may depend upon just where and how it is cracked, if the seal(and outer scrubber) bore is still round and such. Any pics? :rolleyes:

it was cracked right at the top of the lower tube where the dust seal sits. I got it welded today and now have to try to get it back round. I took it to a couple of machine shops and they said it would not fit in their lathes to rebore the outer lip. So i may have to just use a dremel and start a little at a time.

P1050876.jpg

Uh , yea, not sure you are gonna do this in a lathe, I would think a mill.

Gotta find a smart lad to do it! Where are you located? :rolleyes:

i am in ohio, usa. I am going to check tomorrow a couple of more places to see if they can do anything with it. If not, a dremel tool and some patience and hopefully i can get it in good enough shape. I dont have the $280 to "fork" out for a new one..lol, on top of the pricey seals and dust seals..

With my quick scan of the picture it looks like the area for the actual oil seal is ok, so the that seal should be fine, you should be able to get the area for the dust seal close enough to round for it if you take your time.

Mine was dented in the same place, I tapped the dent out with a hammer and something round. There is a small crack in mine and I am using the same dust seal and have had no problems with it. (but I am a cheap b*****d also)

i am in ohio, usa. I am going to check tomorrow a couple of more places to see if they can do anything with it. If not, a dremel tool and some patience and hopefully i can get it in good enough shape. I dont have the $280 to "fork" out for a new one..lol, on top of the pricey seals and dust seals..

There is a fellow (rider) in PA that may be able to help if need be. Let us know how you get on! :rolleyes:

i had 1 friend weld it up and i took it to another older friend of mine that is one of those guys that can fabricate, build/fix anything. He took a couple looks at it and went at it. He had it near perfect in about 1/2 hour. I left it with him for the day, so hopefully i can pick it up tomorrow and see how it turned out. He was a machinist for years as well so he has the eye for what is right. I just hope he could get it right. I will post pics when i get it back if it works out.

i called ryp today and ordered a new seal, washer, and dust seal from Ryan. He saw it when i did it and said with a little luck it would be ok..

Edited by AWILLIAMS64

put it back together today. The new seal took a little bit of pressure to get in there but it seems to be working for now. I put new oil in both forks and got it all back together. I also ordered some of the src fork boots that i put on as well for a little extra protection against dirt. Going to go over the bolts with a torque wrench tomorrow and then hopefully go for a ride. If all is well then i am ready for the next event in indiana this coming weekend!