Tlr250 Missfire

g4321

I suffered an intermittant missfire during a trial at the weekend. Bike started first kick as usual - nothing seemed untoward. Disconnected kill switch then changed plug but to no avail. Finished trial and decided to investigate further.

The plug was extremely black & sooty which suggests either weak spark or rich mixture but since bike starts ok the second route was my first thing to investigate.

The carb aint brilliant, there is a fair bit of wear on the float valve & float pivot so these are being replaced as a matter of course. The 's;low running jet' may have been partially blocked - hard to really identify but there was a small bit of petrol pipe rubber lying in the float bowl. Nothing to clearly explain the symptoms of the bad running but might be the source of problems.

On investigating the wiring the 1st connection I checked was the main feed from the generator, here the connector rubber was perished and it is clear that water has been causing a bad connection & probably weak spark - ie ok slow running but poor performance under load.

The reason for writing this is to suggest that the connections in your TLR wiring loom are now going to be up to 20 years old so if you notice any rubber perishing or splitting when under the tank do something about it now so you dont have a frustrating day like I had. Heat shrink works wonders!