315r straight silencer baffle

canada280i

I seem to recall reading on here somewhere in the Montesa Forum that a positive mod was to put a straight silencer baffle in, in place of the "s" shaped original.

Can anyone offer a reason why this would be a better option than standard? or pro's and con's of such a mod.

i did this, sometime ago. seem to remember bought it from sandifords, but have a feeling it was a part out of the silencer from a crf450? anyway it was cut down to length packing material replaced with new and i think i made a difference, sharpened it up somewhat. dont expect it to make the world of difference however, like alot of these things such as mapping switches etc - mind games!

as for the reasoning - less restriction of exhausted gasses would usually allow greater power/increased throttle response if no actual power gain i would guess.

cheap simple mod and bike will probably benefit from the repacked silencer anyway, give it a go.

Edited by twinkletoes

Thanks for the response. I had some free time today so actually drilled out a piece of pipe (took several hours of drilling)and repacked and inserted it, and I would have to agree with you that it actually did seem to add a little more pep. The less restriction in a straight pipe does make sense, although I would not have thought that the "s" original pipe would have been that restrictive. Anyway, the bottom line is that it sounds better, and seems to work better as well, so all is good.