2000 TXT 280 - Gas Mileage

trialtrial

Hey gang, I noticed my txt 280 seems to go through the fuel pretty quickly. I don't compete - I use the bike for single track woods riding. I went out today, and tank of fuel plus 1 extra litre (hebo) lasted 50 minutes - until I hit reserve. Is this normal?

The bike runs great, starts great, I never foul plugs.

thanks

Don

Edited by TrialTrial

I thought my 300 pro used alot. When riding trails , we figure 2 hours of pretty steady riding , and you better be back at the truck before 2 hr 15 min. or you'll I'll be pushing , seems everybody else can go about 2h 30min.

I tell them "it dosen't take much fuel to watch me climb the hills" :lol:

Edited by toothandnail

OK, it looks like I have POOR gas milage - now what can I do about it?

- bike runs fine

- I don't see or smell gas

- I am not burning plugs

- It doesn't seem to smoke any more than any other 2T

Suggestions? I will rebuild the carb, but it would be nice to know why I am getting half the gas mileage...

I've ridden entire 4 loop trials on one tank without ever going onto reserve on my TXT 280,and it was a fairly long loop(Newark,Oh) I think that trail riding uses a whole lot more mainjet action than trials riding in events. I advise entering trials events as much as possible...And picking up a vintage trials bike for trailbriding that has a large tank(that'd be about a gallon and a half) Vintage trials bikes also have usable saddles and will out do enduro bikes by far for trials type trail riding.