TLR200 Reflex Fork Oil

zippy

OK getting my '86 TLR200 Reflex in a relatively trials ready condition, I decide I need to change fork oil and new fork seals. Open maintenance manual, read up on the way the forks come apart and how much oil to add. OH wait a minute it clearly states to fill the forks with ATF???? Now that just seems a bit odd to me with all the great variety of specific fork oils out there, well maybe it was slim pickings back in 1986???

Anyway my big question is: All you gents that have your TLR200 Reflex set up for trials what are YOU currently using as fork oil?? and do you have any air pressure added as well?? My forks have the Schrader valves on the caps.

Thanks to all (even those with the smart :moon: comments, I deserve my share)

Zipper, ATF is roughly equal to 10wt fork oil and has good anti-foaming properties. Not sure if there may be an advantage in a real fork oils anti-stiction properties, possibly so, so since you are doing the once a decade fluid change, go for the big bucks! :thumbup:

Zipper, ATF is roughly equal to 10wt fork oil and has good anti-foaming properties. Not sure if there may be an advantage in a real fork oils anti-stiction properties, possibly so, so since you are doing the once a decade fluid change, go for the big bucks! :thumbup:

Thanks and I think this is the once every 25 yrs fluid change, so I should really spend the big bucks.

Any ideas about the air pressure thing? or are those valves just there for releasing pressure if it builds up?

If you are going to change to oil rather than ATF clean all the old stuff out, oil & ATF don't mix well and can emulsify.

ATF is fine, I use it as fork oil in a couple of my bikes.

Maybe think about some new springs first though. They do 'shorten' after that many years.

The air valves are a help with adjusting the sag, without rider there should be about an inch of sag in the suspension with the bike off stand. With the rider aboard a couple of inches sag and an even amount front and rear.

You will only want to use a hand pump and low pressure gauge. The Max I would put in them is 8psi. It is only a small volume needed.

When you reassemble the forks lube the new seals up before sliding them on to lubed up fork legs.

:madnoel:

If you are going to change to oil rather than ATF clean all the old stuff out, oil & ATF don't mix well and can emulsify.

ATF is fine, I use it as fork oil in a couple of my bikes.

Maybe think about some new springs first though. They do 'shorten' after that many years.

The air valves are a help with adjusting the sag, without rider there should be about an inch of sag in the suspension with the bike off stand. With the rider aboard a couple of inches sag and an even amount front and rear.

You will only want to use a hand pump and low pressure gauge. The Max I would put in them is 8psi. It is only a small volume needed.

When you reassemble the forks lube the new seals up before sliding them on to lubed up fork legs.

:madnoel:

Thanks for the reply. Good stuff. I am super cheap so new springs are not in my future.....I'll be lucky to change the seals. :wacko: I am not exactly sure what is in the forks at the moment so a super good cleaning is in order no matter what I put in them.

By any chance, do you know of other fork springs that will fit the TLR200 Reflex? I just went through an oil/seal change and thought about the springs, but didn't do any investigation into it.

thanks

Mark