engin

bondy

Bondy, Just pull the headstay off loosening the head normally and then tighten the barrel nuts up just firm to put the motor in the other frame leaving the headstay off until you get it in the frame then bolt all of it up again using a torque wrench to get the correct tension. This is much easier than trying to put it in with the headstay attached. I am not sure if you can leave it attached anyway. No one I know has ever tried it. Bully Lover.

To get the engine deassembled with the headstady mounted doesn't work.

To get the engine out underneath is not so easy, because you have to turn the complete engine in its axis across the driving direction. There is only very little space to do so in my personal experience and as you have already figured out, (otherwise you would not ask here) you will need to demount the haedstady too to get at least some space for doing so.

It would theoretical work when you bend the steady down to get the engine free, but then the plate of the headystady is cold-formed and will when rebended again and assembled the stady will - when the bike engine is operating again - crack later, so this is a NO GO!

If you want to get rid of this problem depending the headstady in the future, build your own headstady whith looks like this posted in topic "headstady" here: Headstady, (By the way the thread was intoduced by yourself.)

This construction might not be original to your bike, (199a), but an improvment for sure.

Bondy, Just pull the headstay off loosening the head normally and then tighten the barrel nuts up just firm to put the motor in the other frame leaving the headstay off until you get it in the frame then bolt all of it up again using a torque wrench to get the correct tension. This is much easier than trying to put it in with the headstay attached. I am not sure if you can leave it attached anyway. No one I know has ever tried it. Bully Lover.

thanks all for your addvice i thought it wouldnt work i need two take the exhaust off anyway two have the manifold plate strightend its got a slight bow on it so needs going in a vice i will take the head off as i think ill replace the copper gasket i reused the last one by heating it up i dont have a torque wench i just tightend the head nuts. and bolts up to the secquance in the workshop manual what size of wench do i need?

thanks all for your addvice i thought it wouldnt work i need two take the exhaust off anyway two have the manifold plate strightend its got a slight bow on it so needs going in a vice i will take the head off as i think ill replace the copper gasket i reused the last one by heating it up i dont have a torque wench i just tightend the head nuts. and bolts up to the secquance in the workshop manual what size of wench do i need?

If its the torque wrench your on about Chris , the 3/8 drive one should do you for near everything on the engine ..... :kerstsmiley: .... you been drinking too many stella's Chris