125, 200,250,280 for 125kg rider?

oojudoo

Hi Mike,

I would say anything above 200cc would be fine. I'd say that a 125 may be underpowered if your 125kg? I might be wrong.

A 250 would give you a good balance of power to weight (which is what it is all about) and not be to tricky to control throttle wise.

I think the biggest issue you will find in that price bracket will be tired suspension. If you then add 125kg of rider plus riding kit then any suspension issue such as old oil or knackered seals etc will be quickly exposed.

The springs front and rear are not made for a 125kg rider so long term you will find the available adjustmnent will not be enough to set the bike to your weight (if your fussy).

My thoughts would be get a bike of 250+cc in the best condition you can find. Put in the back of your mind that as soon as you get a leaking fork seal/shock etc then have them re built with new seals etc and springs but ones for you weight range. For the exact specs you will need to speak to a suspension tuner to get the right advice.

For general messing about you may well find that you get by perfectly well on normal suspension and just use standard adjustment up to the max setting.

Get a bike, get out there then adjust when things needs replacing.

The suspension being tired wasnt something i had thought of.

Is there an easy test when looking to buy a bike that could let me know if the suspension has almost had it?

Is there a paticular make that parts are easy/cheap to buy for?

Are the seals a diy option?

what are the easy checks that i can do when going to look at a bike?

I know about pulling the chain at the 3 oclock position but how far is too far if the chain does move?

again, thanks in advance

I am new to trials, weigh in at 115kgs, 6'2". I have an older GG 2000 280 I bought for about 1000 BP. It was really worn out, but served well. Put on a slow throttle tube to help me learn better throttle control. Spent too much time fixing the GG, so I just replaced it with a 08 Beta 4T 250. Again adjusted the throttle tube - all is well.

250 is lots of power to pull me up anything and with the slow throttle tube more than tame enough to handle.

I would be tempted to go along to your next local trial and try asking one of the committee members ( if he or she , has time )if they know of anybody that is selling anything. The bikes history can nearly always be verified and you will always get a ' if you buy a bike off john or jimmy etc.it will be good because he looks after his machinary' or even the opposite ' don't buy a bike off john or jimmy etc.'Worth a try at least!!

Phil

I would be tempted to go along to your next local trial and try asking one of the committee members ( if he or she , has time )if they know of anybody that is selling anything. The bikes history can nearly always be verified and you will always get a ' if you buy a bike off john or jimmy etc.it will be good because he looks after his machinary' or even the opposite ' don't buy a bike off john or jimmy etc.'Worth a try at least!!

Phil

That was going to be one of my next steps, better chance of getting something better value for money.

I think i am going to leave getting it a while, sell a couple of my toys :) and save a bit more money and buy something a little newer.

special thanks, Pindie, some very valuable advice and thanks for the contact details

mike