Sherco Frame number identification

magicmat

Hi Guys,

I know there will have been many threads about this in the past, including this one, which details a 2004 sherco:

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/13632-sherco-frame-numbers/

But i cant find one which answers my question :(

From that thread I learnt that the 8th digit denotes the year, so TR4 would be a 2004 etc. HOWEVER the bike i've just bought does not have this, it has a TRY so im guessing its a 1999??? it also make me question the engine size as well,

can somone confirm the age for me, and potentially point me towards the engine size? the casing sticker says 2.9 but i dont trust it.

My frame number is

VNBS329TRYA004058

Anyone got some info or links??

Cheers

Matt

I have a 2000 2.9

I have no idea what the frame number digits mean. but here's mine VNBS329TRVA002290

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------YOURS VNBS329TRYA004058

So making a leap of faith here the 29 means we both have 2.9's

and maybe that double 00 means year 2000?

and last 4 are the production order?

Not sure about the V and the Y.

Any other Sherco experts out there that can shed some light?

Edited by ZIPPY

Hi guys,

Thanks for the input!

I'll get some photos up but the bike isnt complete, and the plastics may not be the right ones cos it says 2.5 sherco on the rear mudguard,

Your info is very helpful zippy, but its that v and y which are confusing :(

I've had a chat with the very helpful Chris at Splat Shop,

He recons that he cant tell me the exact model year of my bike, but says that it was manufactured in 2000.

To find out whether its a 2000 or a 2001 he suggested looking at these pictures as the exhaust changed between 2000 and 2001

Sherco00right.jpg

Sherco01right.jpg

Mine has the 2001 exhaust so im going to believe mine is an 2001 which was manufactured in 2000.

Mat, The tenth digit has always been the model year. At least in the U.S. anyway. In 1986 it started with the letter A=86, and so forth, however, some letters were not used. I would find someone's VIN number where you can relate to as far as year and letter, and just count up from there. Hope that was helpful.

Edited by rockyrider

I've had a chat with the very helpful Chris at Splat Shop,

He recons that he cant tell me the exact model year of my bike, but says that it was manufactured in 2000.

To find out whether its a 2000 or a 2001 he suggested looking at these pictures as the exhaust changed between 2000 and 2001

Sherco00right.jpg

Sherco01right.jpg

Mine has the 2001 exhaust so im going to believe mine is an 2001 which was manufactured in 2000.

I do believe that the case here. The earlier frames were not highly polished either, sort of a duller chrome finish. Tank, mudguard, exhaust all different. :rolleyes: