No Grip

thebarber

New to all this and finding it difficult finding grip on muddy inclines, a few of my mates have had a go on my bike & also have the same trouble while having no bother at all on their own steeds.

I initially thought rear tyre but plenty of tread 10mm infact.

Any ideas??

Hi and welcome.

In trials, tread depth does not equate to tyre useful life. The squareness of the leading edge of the blocks is what you are looking for. If they are rounded, you will struggle. If the trailing edge is rounded too, either the tyre has been turned (quite acceptable; many of us do this to get a crisp edge before shelling out for a new hoop), or the braking edge is also knackered. This would indicate a VERY worn tyre.

Also, it needs to be a 'pukka' trials tyre, not just a trials pattern. The two brands used by most are Michelin X11 (and X11 Lite) and IRC TR011. Dunlop D803 is OK and there are some cheaper tyres that are not too bad (although inferior to the IRC or Michelin) such as Vee-Rubber. Pirelli have the MT43, but it is not good as the sidewalls are very stiff so will not work at the very low pressures needed.

Talking of pressures, you need to be looking at 2-4 psi, depending on the tyre. Vee-rubber tend to go concave if you go below 3psi. You'll need a low pressure gauge to measure this with any degree of accuracy.

Otherwise, it's down to the bike's power delivery and your right wrist and body position.

Hope this helps

Graham

What bike is it?

Soft at the rear is often good for wet grip, but there's no harm in trying. Rear pre-load is normally something you set to accomodate for rider weight (although spring rate is the more correct way to do this), and is adjusted to give the correct amount of 'static sag'. This is how much the suspension compresses when you are stood on the pegs. Should be around 1/3 of total travel, or about 2".

However, I'd look at the edge of the knobbles first, then tyre pressure. Maybe experiment with the position of your bars (rock them further back in the clamps to put a bit more weight over the rear). Otherwise, practice!

A good friend of mine started out on a Techno just about 2 years ago. His back tyre was totally sh@gged. I couldn't ride his bike; it didn't grip at all. He rode it lots and by the time he replaced the tyre he had fantastic feel for grip. His first year saw him upgraded. Maybe that's the view to take!

Graham

Tire knob edges being square helps loads but if you're like me (cheap) then you don't have square edges long. I suggest body position, bend at the knees to get better grip uphill (testes to the tank so to speak)and clutch and throttle control. Practice Practice Practice. If something doesn't work practice something else. Practicing the wrong technique will only give poor results.

Just my opinions.