New '91 Pinky Owner ... Advice Pls

gregr

Hi Guys

Not new to dirt bikes , but certainly new to the Pinky , so any advice gladly accepted and

appreciated .... first dumb question{s}

1. Engine "rattle" on over run ... is this normal ...sounds like the piston is trying to escape !

2. As with above "pinking" ... dont think the bikes had lots of use so might just need a good

blast and will fuel up using Castrol Power1 {old TTS} and Shell V Power {as I gather Pinkys like

high octanes}

Thats about it for now , feel free to pitch in , not looking to set the trials world alight , but some

nice results in the Over 50's would be great ..

All best

Greg

Ps, Big John , don't worry still got my Bultaco !

These engines can be a bit rattly and pink / tinkle on the overrun. I think Castrol (although a good oil) may be a bit thin (SAE 20 ish) - I think it is low viscosity so it can be used in oil injectors as well as pre mix. Try Smith and Allan fully synthetic, Gulf pride 2T or Gulf fully syntheic which are about SAE 50. Putoline MX 5 at 30:1 also quietens them down.

Check the squish clearance and keep the piston crown and head well decoked.

I would be inclined to take the barrel off and check piston skirt to bore clearance. From memory I think it should be about 0.0025 inch (0.064mm) and will rattle a fair bit at 0.004 inch and badly at 0.006 inch. Hopefully someone with a yam service manual will confirm or correct my figures. BP Ultimate can reduce pinking compared to "standard" fuels

Cheers

Cheers for that , had a practice hour on the bike yesterday and well pleased , just wondered why I never bought one sooner . I hear what you say about the relative thickness of oils , I only use semi-sythetic in my early Bultaco for this very reason . I did however buy the proper Power 1 oil , they do a different one for injectors . But again this was only advice given by the seller . Am looking for a genuine service manual if anyones got one . All best Greg

Closest online workshop manual I know of is this

http://northover.com...ahaTYManual.htm

But is for the 350. Most of it will be useful, though.

You can always look on ebay, try widening you search to US Aus, Can and NZ.

These may help with the rattle

http://www.earplugs.co.uk/

Nothing else has helped with my TY rattle!!

Edited by Goudrons

Hey mate, good to know of another new pinky owner. Enjoy the ride. That connection to the 350 manual is good. I have a real 250 manual, so if you need any specific info drop us a line. andy.bird@publicismojo.com.au Oh yeah, mine is noisey, too.