White Frame

bondy

There where certainly some for the older Bultacos available but I don't think you get them anymore as a spare.

I have now got a short speedo wire for my Bultaco and will in this week do some CAD drawings of a speedo mount/bracket that will be mounted on the right side where the front engine mount sits. It's for my Bultaco Sherpa, the bracket will then be laser cutted out of strong aluminium, the machine can use cad drawings for cutting, I can seve some money if I do the dxf files for them. I don't know the costs yet but if you are interested?

Edited by PSchrauber

The speedo on early Bultos were mounted on the front engine mounting bolt but were moved to the handlebars because they got easily damaged and they could not be easily seen when riding on the road.

Yes, they where moved to the top of the fork clamps and mounted to the steering head nut with a steel bracket, this position is also very exposed, the bracket will bend very fast just because of the momentum of the weight of the speedo, (not kidding, here a photo when I picked up the bike).

100_0656.JPG

In my very personal opinion the speedo is mounted more hided at the right side down, the boom where you mount the speedo has to be as short as possible and made out of 4mm alumium so it sit's very stabe.

Yes it is true that I will have some difficulties to read the speedo, but I don't care so much as max speed with full throttle down hill and with a storm from behind is around 95km/h, so I will have difficulties to brake the rules as even half throttle I would not use very long. :lol: The speedo is just mounted for the registration rules. I have a speedo mounted to the right fork leg on my other bike, (a SWM), this speedo is also very difficult to read off so I'am very used to this issue. :chairfall:

Forgot the color question, Opel Signalblau or Ford electric blue might even match better. Anyway with the years the color will change and even if you have choosen the right color there will be a still remarkable variation when the paint is applied and dryed in different batches / production runs.

EDIT:

But it is very difficult to get powder coatings in car color specifications, here they use RAL or the NCS color system.

Edited by PSchrauber

ok thanks for your addvice. am keeping both my bultacos now was gonner sell one but changed my mind so ill have the frame re painted. its not to bad has it is but its in blue i want a change so am gonner have it powder coated white. i know the 199A should be blue but am only changing the frame.

As you have two bikes, a little difference will make every day live brighter :)

For the speedo bracket mount, I will do the measurements and probably a template/model in this week,

Drawings follow this weekend, you can have the drawings for making your own bracket.

It will just be a bracket with an 90° angel, where the sockets between the axis of the front engine mount sits has an an offset to the mount of the speedo, leaving space for the wires of the ignition and the cable of the speedo.

The speedo mount will fit original speedo which is btw. still available as assembly version for the dashbord of the road models, (with chromed body not painted black).

Edited by PSchrauber

• 1 month later...

Sorry this took a long time, but now the measurements and drawings are done, I had some other things to do and I wanted to "develop" some other parts too, here is the drawing of the "lower" speedo bracket:

The upper drawings show a bolt for the front fastening of the gas-tank with very flat head, (made out of steel type 1.4571 (in BS 320 S17/320 S 3))

The lower drwaings show mount for the speedo at the front engine mount, (made out of aluminium type 3.4365, (AlZnMgCu1,5))

Bauteile%2520Bultaco.jpg

The parts will be fabricated next week.

• 4 weeks later...