Help Please

sausdog

Hello,

Im looking at buying a Bultaco to restore and hopefully ride.I have found a nice possible project but the problem is the engine number and frame number are different.This is a 1967 Sherpa 250,so the question i have is,

Is this still ok to buy would there be any problems with having different numbers.Many thanks to anyone that replies.

Engine and frame numbers didn't always match exactly from the factory so that in itself isn't an issue. The first two numbers should match as they denote the model type but the remainder can be different. You don't say what the numbers are, if you have them, post them as most Bultaco enthusiasts on here can tell you what they relate to. The wrong engine / frame combination will devalue it in some people's eyes, even though it may not affect the way it rides (depending on the frame/engine combination of course. A Pursang engine in a Sherpa for example wouldn't be much use)

There is a Sherpa on ebay I noticed yesterday which was listed as 1967. Is it that one you're looking at? The frame on that is an early 70s frame, either a Sherpa or Alpina, whereas the engine looked an early 5 speed which would be 1967. The combination would work but there would be no real value in it were you to want to sell following an expensive rebuild.

Edited by Woody