Taco Newbie Needs Brakes, And Fluid Level Check

74tacoalpina

Hey guys, I just picked up my first bultaco a model 115, 74 Alpina 250, and am having a heck of a time locating some rear brake shoes.... If any body knows of a source for these in the U.S. please let me know. I wouldn't even mind if they are used, lol!!! on a side note how do you verify proper gear and primary case oil levels (there has got to be a way other than drain and measure, ?? I hope....)

I've run into the same problem, Do you still have the old shoe's? Most large cities have an automotive brake and clutch relining shop. Took mine to one and they were able to bond on some oversized linings, had a choice of two compounds, they work great now. If you don't have any shoe's, check on E-bay, relatively common. Drain and refill those fluids, Hugh's Bultaco web page has a tech section with the amounts, I use ATF in the clutch instead of the 30wt. Mark.

Thanks guys! I was looking for a relining shop and dropped the shoes off this morning, 3 more days until I can take the first ride :(.......

As for gear and primary fluid I have changed them and was curious how to check the levels as to insure there is always the proper amount.. and on another note, should the fuel tank be coated inside with resin before resealing?

I've run into the same problem, Do you still have the old shoe's? Most large cities have an automotive brake and clutch relining shop. Took mine to one and they were able to bond on some oversized linings, had a choice of two compounds, they work great now. If you don't have any shoe's, check on E-bay, relatively common. Drain and refill those fluids, Hugh's Bultaco web page has a tech section with the amounts, I use ATF in the clutch instead of the 30wt. Mark.

Call this guy for brakes

http://www.speedandsport.com/

Just replace the fluids.