Clutch Cover Enlightenment Please

sadlotus

Hi all, my clutch cover is pretty bashed and where it's been repaired with filler and Araldite it's leaking (again). Surfing the web and trolling thru Ebay there seems to be three types of casing for the Sherpa. An early four speed version (almost smooth oval shape), late sixties/seventies five speed (round with bumps) and eighties and later (squarer, more pronounced shape).

I have a Sherpa 92, 350 1972 middle version cover.

Questions are:

Various casings come up un Fleabay but rarely exactly what I need.

Are the 125/250/325 casings the same?

What other models/variations should I be looking out for?

Ta verily

Paul

The early 5 speed casing is not the same as the 4 speed casing because the 4 speed has a large indentation for access to the bottom engine mounting bolt and the five speed casing does not.

I don't know what it is like where you live, but here the cover that suits your motor is quite commonly available, probably because they were also fitted to the most popular (early to mid 1970s) Alpina models, which are not popular nowadays (compared with Sherpa Ts and Pursangs) so there are lots of Alpina motor parts available. I'm pretty sure you could buy one from any of the Bultaco parts suppliers.

The later type (1975 on) has a different shape to yours internally and I suspect would not fit over your crankshaft flywheel

My 175 bulto has the later casing the middle type case are the same fitting as the gasket is common Have you tryed Lummiweld on it I holed mine at the crank flywheel This is like soldering but it only goes on alloy

Thanks for the replies, confirmed what I thought.

I've been checking out the US ebay, but the shipping/postage seems to kill any bargain price.

Naichuff, I have tried Lumiweld but on an ali radiator, I'm afraid I turned a previously acceptable bodyfiller bodge fix into an unusable blobby smudge of aluminium...

thanks

Paul

I'm assuning you've tried Bultaco UK

Try also:

John Collins at Port Talbot Motorcycles (Bultaco dealer back in the day and still has a lot of stock)

Wakefield Offroad (broken loads of trials bikes)

Sammy Miller (broken bikes in the past)

Or this ebay seller

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bultaco-350cc-twin-shock-trials-clutch-cover-/230791805227?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item35bc43792b

I know this case is for the later bike but he has broken a few Bultacos, so may be worth a try asking him. Or, you could always fit this case if it came cheap enough. I know it is for the '74/75 model but it would fit ok. Doesn't matter if it is from a 250 or 350, they are the same case. If you do go for it, bear in mind the fixing bolts are probably different lengths from yours and the drain plug on this case is the bottom middle fixing bolt which serves as both (available from Bultaco UK if needed) - so get the bolt set as well if he has it.