Ty250/350 Mono Clutch Lever Extention.

searay175

I want to extend the actuator lever on one of my ty350's to soften the pull. My question is, do I need to remove the clutch basket and push rod or will the lever pull up and out without removing the clutch assembly?

Thanks!

I want to extend the actuator lever on one of my ty350's to soften the pull. My question is, do I need to remove the clutch basket and push rod or will the lever pull up and out without removing the clutch assembly?

Thanks!

this may sound like a good idea but what is happening you are in a way changing the gear ratio so its like been in a lower gear but this needs more pull from the lever to equal the standard length of pull where can you gain this a further stuck out lever but then you need longer hands ,it sets off a chain reaction of problems

I extended mine 10mm. You'll need to pull the clutch pressure plate to pull the rod out slightly so the lever shaft will clear and it should just come out.

Three other things helped: replace the cable internal with woven aircraft control wire and thread the end of the outer cable ferrule at the bottom end and use a nut to cinch it up where it goes through the holder on the left, rear cylinder stud (see photo). This will keep the ferrule/housing from flexing and makes the clutch action more "direct" feeling. You'll also notice that I canted the very tip a little to the left so it has a more direct pull. My TY is a one-finger pull and feels very smooth.

Jon

post-2532-0-36495100-1342137033_thumb.jpg

The beta guy from north yorks is correct. But understanding how hard the cable types are to pull the best thing is quality levers and perches first. Secondly 99.9 % of all clutch arm extentions were with bolt on items that could be removed and or modified for the user. Changing the stock arm might not be the best option as all ty parts have become crazy money. Unfortunately I can not find a picture of this mod. John? Are you riding vintage, modern or just having fun? Great bike! Last month I rode a `like new` example for two days chasing my son. Still smilin`

Ps part is unavailable . arm is now obselete in the usa.

Edited by lineaway

The beta guy from north yorks is correct. But understanding how hard the cable types are to pull the best thing is quality levers and perches first. Secondly 99.9 % of all clutch arm extentions were with bolt on items that could be removed and or modified for the user. Changing the stock arm might not be the best option as all ty parts have become crazy money. Unfortunately I can not find a picture of this mod. John? Are you riding vintage, modern or just having fun? Great bike! Last month I rode a `like new` example for two days chasing my son. Still smilin`

Ps part is unavailable . arm is now obselete in the usa.

These mods were done over 20+ years ago and still work fine. Angling the tip and securing the ferrule takes the slop out of the cable allowing for a "normal" setting of the lever throw. Next time you get a chance, pull on the TY lever and most likely you'll notice the ferrule wiggle at the lower mount, it's surprizing how much it affects the engagement. I know the aftermarket machined extender you mentioned and just about everybody used them. Unless you are restoring a collector's bike and want it absolutely stock, if you are going to ride the bike it's some mods to consider.

I've had the bike since new and ride it non-comp just for fun as there are no classes for it. It's not a twin-shock and it's not modern. It's still fun to ride but it does make me appreciate my Magnesium engined 147 Lb Pro.I think the classification for the TY350 is "Modern Classic".....:)

Jon