Gas Gas Tx270 1998 Or Txt270 1999?

teh gaza

There is no where near enough information to form an honest opinion. A 12 or 13 year old trials bike could well be a complete basket case!

If the owner of the 98 bike admits it's a bit rusty, then it might be a pile of scrap metal.

The 99 bike starts well but he admits the rear wheel bearing is worn out. These are cheap and (relatively) easy to replace, however the suspension bearings are not, and on a bike of this age they may be 'hanging' too!

That said, either bike could be a real bargain if they are okay.

You really do need to take a friend who knows a little about trials bikes and take a good long look at both. Make an honest list of the problems on both and then sit down and work out the costs of making either bike servicable. Run both until the fans come on, these are a fortune.

With luck one will still be a bargain at this point and you will know which to go for. Remember you could easily spend £200 to 300 on parts (and more on labour if you can't do it yourself) and it won't make the bike worth a lot more.

Let us know how you get on,

Pete

There is no where near enough information to form an honest opinion. A 12 or 13 year old trials bike could well be a complete basket case!

If the owner of the 98 bike admits it's a bit rusty, then it might be a pile of scrap metal.

The 99 bike starts well but he admits the rear wheel bearing is worn out. These are cheap and (relatively) easy to replace, however the suspension bearings are not, and on a bike of this age they may be 'hanging' too!

That said, either bike could be a real bargain if they are okay.

You really do need to take a friend who knows a little about trials bikes and take a good long look at both. Make an honest list of the problems on both and then sit down and work out the costs of making either bike servicable. Run both until the fans come on, these are a fortune.

With luck one will still be a bargain at this point and you will know which to go for. Remember you could easily spend £200 to 300 on parts (and more on labour if you can't do it yourself) and it won't make the bike worth a lot more.

Let us know how you get on,

Pete

Hi pete thanks for the response. I have bought the Gas Gas TX270 1998 for £550. The bike is in good condition, two problems though.

First the exhaust has had a hole burned into with the wheel rubbing against it, I will end up replacing the exhaust as I don't think there any good solutions to repairing it. But with this problem happening in the first place why is the exhaust sitting so close to the wheel when the suspension is fully lowered anyway?

Secondly the back brake is not working very well, there is plenty of pad remaining, the lever seems to be loose moving it up and down. But there is slight tension when you push on it but the back wheel still moves if you give it a shove. Any tips on how to sort the brake?

Thanks

The hole in the rear silencer is quite common, a good welder will be able to weld a repair plate over the hole. Check that the silencer is correctly mounted, it only needs to be knocked a few mm over and it will touch the tyre.

Your rear brake problem could be a number of things, firstly check that the pistons are moving freely. Then try adjusting the push rod onthe end of the lever to see if that helps. (Be carefull not to over lengthen as this will cause the brakes to drag.)

If these solutions fail, the next thing is to bleed the system through. There may be air or other contamination in the brake line.

I hope this helps.

Pete

dont think ive ever seen a Gas Gas exhaust not touching the tyre.

sounds like the back brake needs bleeding

Brakes: you might find, that this old bike needs a master cylinder kit, I mean... It IS a wear item...

Pads can get contaminated, try new ones, or take a good 40 grit to them, but hey pads they are relatively cheap...

Both of the above, is of course AFTER you try the suggestions given by Pete

Silencer I think will cost you big $$ (sorry dont have the "pounds symbol" on my keyboard). Just find a shop that can weld with a TIG. then ALSO get all of the mounting points welded and gusseted some, only get it welded and reinforced after you get it all "bent back into place, that misses the tire"...

you'll have fun on this. it isnt too old to get parts.

Edited by sting32

Brakes: you might find, that this old bike needs a master cylinder kit, I mean... It IS a wear item...

Pads can get contaminated, try new ones, or take a good 40 grit to them, but hey pads they are relatively cheap...

Both of the above, is of course AFTER you try the suggestions given by Pete

Silencer I think will cost you big $$ (sorry dont have the "pounds symbol" on my keyboard). Just find a shop that can weld with a TIG. then ALSO get all of the mounting points welded and gusseted some, only get it welded and reinforced after you get it all "bent back into place, that misses the tire"...

you'll have fun on this. it isnt too old to get parts.

Any chance these decals will fit on my bike?

http://www.trialendurodirect.com/products/63/GG_PRO_FENDER_DECAL_KIT_602.html

I cant find decals anywhere for the Tx270.