Clutch, Brake Levers

bmktw2

Hi there my machine had short levers on when I got it, and have recently changed them back to the original spec on the advice of an expert at a training day and what a difference. Wish I`d done it ages ago. I find that I have much better control of my machine. Save your money bud and keep the one`s you`ve got. :icon_salut:

Hi there my machine had short levers on when I got it, and have recently changed them back to the original spec on the advice of an expert at a training day and what a difference. Wish I`d done it ages ago. I find that I have much better control of my machine. Save your money bud and keep the one`s you`ve got. :icon_salut:

I've got these huge goofy levers. I think im just going to use my grinder and cut them down.

downsize2.jpg

I am in the opposite direction like you, I had the long levers similar to yours in the pic on my new OSSA and switched them to shorties from Lewisport and I love them, I would say I have better control with the shorties so my advice would be opposite to Wobblenorbed....each to his own I guess!

Get hold of Ryan Young seeing as you're in the states & ask for the 3/4 levers that shercos come with standard #R440 & R441, other option you can use are ARC folding levers for sherco which he supplied me about 8 years ago, they're standard sherco length & shape

https://secure.rypus...=133&startrow=1

My memory was that the cost of the ARC levers was only about double that of the standard ones at the time which is good insurance when you're trying new stuff or learning, I ended up bushing & moving the pivot point to get the adjuster screw lined up properly with the piston on the clutch side but expect that has been fixed by now

RQF do universal fit levers for trials bike which quite a few sellers list on ebay which may be a bit cheaper & add colour to your bike if you want it

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2ec0ded1a0

Edited by tony27

Bikes of that vintage came with the "shortie" two finger lever. Newer bikes came with the medium 3 finger lever. It does look as though yours are the long ones.

It is a bit ironic, but the distance from the pivot to the sweet spot on the lever is actually longer on the short levers, which can provide a bit more control travel and resultant feedback control. I can ride with either, but I actually like the shorties, as on the others I move my fingers about more depending upon the situation.

Think I have some original(spares) for you if you desire. PM me.

Get hold of Ryan Young seeing as you're in the states & ask for the 3/4 levers that shercos come with standard #R440 & R441, other option you can use are ARC folding levers for sherco which he supplied me about 8 years ago, they're standard sherco length & shape

https://secure.rypus...=133&startrow=1

My memory was that the cost of the ARC levers was only about double that of the standard ones at the time which is good insurance when you're trying new stuff or learning, I ended up bushing & moving the pivot point to get the adjuster screw lined up properly with the piston on the clutch side but expect that has been fixed by now

RQF do universal fit levers for trials bike which quite a few sellers list on ebay which may be a bit cheaper & add colour to your bike if you want it

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2ec0ded1a0

Do those levers work well with barkbusters?

Do ya'll use barkbusters?

I know they save my dirtbikes all the time when I hit trees and stuff.

Bikes of that vintage came with the "shortie" two finger lever. Newer bikes came with the medium 3 finger lever. It does look as though yours are the long ones.

It is a bit ironic, but the distance from the pivot to the sweet spot on the lever is actually longer on the short levers, which can provide a bit more control travel and resultant feedback control. I can ride with either, but I actually like the shorties, as on the others I move my fingers about more depending upon the situation.

Think I have some original(spares) for you if you desire. PM me.

hell yea!

I've got these huge goofy levers. I think im just going to use my grinder and cut them down.

downsize2.jpg

Yes on a sherco you can get away with the shorties.(sherco has the lightest clutch pull) Second your lever mounts are too close to your grips. They are also to low to provide any control. If you have any top riders around check out thier handlebars. If you ride in competition you cannot cut the levers shorter. Once you see someone stabbed with a lever you will get it.

Do those levers work well with barkbusters?

Do ya'll use barkbusters?

I know they save my dirtbikes all the time when I hit trees and stuff.

Very few guys I know use barkbusters, actually get in the way sneaking through trees & always the possiblity of breaking wrists in a all too common trip over the bars

I've run the ARC folding levers for around 8 years now doing a lot of trials & very hard trail riding- think mainly 2nd & 3rd gear stuff & have managed to bend 1 sideways by getting it stuck down my boot in a silly trip over the bars dropping into a creek, was able to straighten it out with some gentle heat

I find I'm more likely to catch the end of the bars than the levers as the ends sit at least an inch in from the end of the bars as I have them set up

Can take a photo & post tomorrow if you want

Edited by tony27

Very few guys I know use barkbusters, actually get in the way sneaking through trees & always the possiblity of breaking wrists in a all too common trip over the bars

I've run the ARC folding levers for around 8 years now doing a lot of trials & very hard trail riding- think mainly 2nd & 3rd gear stuff & have managed to bend 1 sideways by getting it stuck down my boot in a silly trip over the bars dropping into a creek, was able to straighten it out with some gentle heat

I find I'm more likely to catch the end of the bars than the levers as the ends sit at least an inch in from the end of the bars as I have them set up

Can take a photo & post tomorrow if you want

Ya a picture would be sweet. I live in the boonies and no one else has ever heard of a trials bike here or even know what one is. I'm paving the way with trials so I need to get my 5hit straight so the millions that follow will do it correctly haha

It is hard to tell from the pics, yet as an example for you, the center of my clamps on the bars for the perches are 7.5 inches in from the end of the actual bars(not grips or end plugs) if that helps you any.

Typically, trials levers would be up a bit more, closer to level, say you were standing straddled the bike and just rested your hands on the bars relaxed, you should find the levers naturally.

I also wrap the perches with a layer of teflon tape so they can pivot on impact, yet tight enough not to move normally.

Edited by copemech

They're worth it, no more broken levers for 1 thing. As you can see they fold right back to the master cylinder which is a lot more than they need to in real life

I have smashed a master cylinder off the bars on 1 of my previous bikes running normal levers, the whole side of the reservior broke away, replacing master cylinders is painful on the pocket :crying: