Fork Clamps

bondy

hello guys am gonner be taking the forks off my 210 gas gas when i slide them back in how tight should i tighten the clamps? also on sliding them back into the clamps is there a stopper you slide them up to? or do you juge it?

There are two ways I have done this:

1) This is good if you will be stripping the forks down. Measure from the top of the upper tripple clamp to the top of the fork before you disassemble. Write this down and set them the same when you reassemble. I use a dial caliper for accuracy.

2) If you are only removing and reinstalling the forks either wrat some tape around the forks below the lower tripple clamp or draw a line with permanent marker. Disassemble, then when reassembling just slide th forks up until the tape just hits the bttom of the lower clamp.

hello guys am gonner be taking the forks off my 210 gas gas when i slide them back in how tight should i tighten the clamps? also on sliding them back into the clamps is there a stopper you slide them up to? or do you juge it?

They don't take much torque, 7-10 Nm or 5-7 ft lb. Make sure the clamping surfaces/fork tubes are absolutely clean (no oil residue and burnished very lightly with an abrasive pad) and tighten the capscrews alternately a little at a time to equalize the clamping load between the bolt holes. Make sure everything is loose on the front end and start with the top tripleclamp bolts, push on the forks a few times to "center" them, tighten the lower clamps, center the forks, then the axle, axle pinch bolts and last, the fork brace, centering the forks between each component being tightened. This will reduce any "stiction" caused by misalignment. You might start with the fork tubes about 3-5mm above the top of the upper clamp.

Jon