Old Man From The States

blackpops

hey gang,

Been away from bikes for a bit. 2t motocrossers as a kid, rode a Ducati for the street as an adult. T-boned a deer about 6 years ago. Got broke up a bit. Healed up fine. Concentrated on other things for a bit. Now at 53 and I'm itching to ride.

Always wanted a trials bike. Typically, I don't like buying used stuff. But listening you cats seems like bike selection is tough. How do I buy my first trials bike?

Currently in Brazil, been watching a ton of videos, searching on Ebay. Lots of interesting stuff out there. I'm heading back to the states mid November. How do I begin my hunt?

Thanks

I got back into trials a couple of years ago after 19 years away, so around same vintage as yourself and thought I would buy cheaper entry - Fantic 245 monoshock but within 3 months discovered the joys of a modern, nimble, light 2009 Beta Evo 125 and found it more than capable of everything I wanted it to do, and others could do a heap more - ie the bike far more capable than the rider, but then Santa provided a brand new 2012 Beta Evo 200cc earlier this year. Impressive bike - more low down torque and doesn't need the constant revs of the 125 and much softer power. Was put to me that the 125 and 250 are the rev-heads of the Beta range and the 200 and 290/300 are the tractors. Sure 300 will have a heap more torque and power but also needs a heap more control and is more than capable of taking you into places that you might not want to go at a pace that perhaps you may not prefer.

Every rider will have their preferences and brand loyalty - perhaps seek out riders in your area and see what is popular and well supported. My suggestion is that big bore is not needed. Just have a look at what the Youth Class ride at World Rounds on a 125cc and know that any of the bikes are more than capable.

If possible try to test ride a variety of bikes and sizes of motors.

Small cc bikes are capable but you need to rev them to the moon to do anything, advantage to small cc is that they require you to use proper technique so you will learn good things. Down side to small cc is if you are at a point just about to make it up/over obstacle and need a little bit more oomph, the small cc bike won't have any left because it is revved out.

250cc and up advantages are more low end torque so less throttle needed to get over most stuff, more like putt putt around. But the larger cc bike will rev out as well, so if you are at that point where you need a little more oomph it will be there and over/up the obstacle you go. And in some cases the oomph of the motor can compensate for lack of technique.

So if you have motorcycling experience I would suggest a 250 or higher, I know world round competitions and these guys on 125cc machines are doing amazing things, but lets face it those bikes are TUNED and rebuilt very often and the riders practice an unholy amount of hours.

Just my opinions