Trials Scoring System

atomant

I have made some progress with the system but im finding that there are parts of it that are be too complicated for someone with just basic excel knowledge to use. :hyper: So, im having to use macros to do certain functions so should ease it up :D

this is where im at:

• Created database : easy to use and add new riders details
  • Created Entry Sheet page which takes data from the database
  • Using a Pivot Table, formatted data (although still a bit of tweaking required.)

Ive just had an inrush of work so I cant get to work on this for a few weeks, but I will have some time off work shortly and then sort it out :D

I'll let you know when its done !!

Edited by Webmonkey

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Webmonkey

I had a look at your Vlookup example this quite good but is there anyway it could give you a drop down list as you start to type i.e. if you just typed in "P" could you get it to do a drop down with Paul Wooley & Peter Wooley and anyone else with a name starting with P.

Or is this not possible

Cheers

Chris

yes, you can do it like that but there is a better way :D

The version im working on now will lookup the data from the database and give you the full name to put in from a drop down menu like you described.

All you need to do is use the mouse and no typing !! ( unless you have a rider that isnt in your database so you will need to add them )

I didnt put that in the example because all I wanted to demonstrate was the VLOOKUP function. :hyper:

Edited by Webmonkey

Ok Chris, Keep an eye on this thread and when its finished ( in about 2 weeks when im off work and have some time ) I'll post some details.

Im trying to make it as easy to use as possible and will release just 2 or 3 copies of it initially for peeps to test it and give me feedback so i can fine tune it before I release the commercial version.

regards

WM

Edited by Webmonkey

Andy what (if any) did you do at the SSDT ?

The system I used for the SSDT was written in a 4GL programming language and was bespoke for that event. It was basically a series of relational databases and compiled C programs to do the calculations and produce reports. If I was doing the same thing now I'd use Oracle or similar -which obviously is way OTT for your average Club Trial!

If I was doing the same thing now I'd use Oracle or similar -which obviously is way OTT for your average Club Trial!

Horse's for courses! :D

Theres a variety of ways and software you could use do do this! The list is endless :lol:

I considered other ways of doing it but I settled on using Excel primarily coz I have a good knowledge of it. I think most peeps have Excel already so dont need to purchase any software. They know at least the basics as they use it now and It can do virtually everything thats required. ;)

We will see how it works out

I'll leave the big scoring systems to the big boys ;)

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

What are the options for adding to the database Ian?

If a new rider comes along, do you add to the database page, or can you just enter his details and get it automatically added to the database. I'm presuming not? Dunno?

Gaz, You were right with your first statement :P If you have a new rider that isnt in your databse already, You add them to the bottom and run a macro that sorts it into alphabetical order.

Then when you go back to the Entry Sheet, you can select his/her details from the drop down menu and it will put them in.

Its all in the same workbook so you only need to select another tab and enter it if your thinking its gonna be a hassle opening another workbook to access the database.

Edited by Webmonkey

Yeah, I was thinking I could use a barcode reader or something like that instead of punchcards :beer: but then, i was getting a bit carried away as I tend to do :D

Anyway, I used the system for the first time at the Belle Isle trial this weekend and it ran sweet :beer:

When the scoring cards were handed in, Oliver read out the tallied scores whilst I typed them in. After that, I clicked The Magic Button button and it produced This Score Sheet

After that, just checked for clashes of scores and entered the MC against the winner and pressed the magic button again and was done.

The total process took just less that 15 minutes :D

Anyone interested in using this for their own club.. Contact me at webmaster@breiddenhillsmcc.org

Regards

Ian

p.s. Note for Bikespace. Im going to train Kirsty on how to use it and she will be using it then for her trials in future, If you want a copy, drop me a mail. ;)

Edited by Webmonkey

If you have entered the section scores as 3-1-0 rather than just the total 4 then your spreadsheet should be able to do a scond sort on cleans flowing down to 1's 2's and 3's to sort tie breaks.