Painting Plastic Tank

bondy

...I'm no expert but I do know the first stage with a plastic tank is to seal the inside or the paint will bubble on the outside.

Apparently the plastic allows the fuel to leach through. Not a problem unless you want to paint your plastic tank.

...After sealing the inside, you know need a primer that is specifically for plastic.

Not a cheap job but a drop in the ocean compared with what you spend on your bikes Bondy :rotfl:

Its hit and miss bondy

The golden rule is DONT LEAVE FUEL IN THE TANK AND LEAVE IT VENTILATED with cap off in garage.

Id recommend its sprayed in 2k and with a sealer first then primer, top coat and Laquer.

All 2 pack resin Internal sealers eventually pickle. Im not aware of any that work permanently when soaked continually.

Oh, one more thing don't aggressively take the existing paint off. Its another layer that can help you.

Oh - Don't leave FUEL IN THE TANK :)

Best of luck. You will need it. Its the biggest pain in the a i have to deal with.

Its hit and miss bondy

The golden rule is DONT LEAVE FUEL IN THE TANK AND LEAVE IT VENTILATED with cap off in garage.

Id recommend its sprayed in 2k and with a sealer first then primer, top coat and Laquer.

All 2 pack resin Internal sealers eventually pickle. Im not aware of any that work permanently when soaked continually.

Oh, one more thing don't aggressively take the existing paint off. Its another layer that can help you.

Oh - Don't leave FUEL IN THE TANK :)

Best of luck. You will need it. Its the biggest pain in the a i have to deal with.

+10 :agreed:

and use gasoline / petrol with as least ethanol as possible *,

in any case to drain the gastank is the best way to prevent discoloring and bubbles.

At the end of the season I use Aspen racing gas this have the benefit that it can be stored over the winter without desintegrate in something weird,

(also this "stuff" should not be stored in the gas tank of the bike).

cheers oily is it ok for plastic tanks? i was thinking of respraying me tank on my 199B but to be honest its not that bad. the last owner did a good job. its only got a frew verry small bubbels round the cap tryed some decals on it but bubbled so took them off .

umm am not sure what to do just yet. am not in any rush as ive emptied the tank and ill just keep it runing with a axuillery bottle. wich ive made dont wanner pay £28 for a plastic bottle and a peice of ruber tubing. if you get my drifft.

Edited by bondy