Gearbox/clutch Question

surfted

I consider my gearbox/clutch to work fine. Not much drag at all hot or cold. But it's harder to shift gear after an hour or so. I find that strange and can't really figure why. Could it be oil related?

Another thing is when I disengage the clutch for some lets say 5sec and then engage it fully it continue to drag for a 1 sec. Could it be worn steelplates or a worn clutchbasket?

It's a 2005 rt4 btw. I will inspect the clutch this winter anyway and maybe be able to figure it out. The seller was talking about worn steelplates could cause sticktion between the plates.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I don't know what you've already cheked, but this is what I would do:

I would start by replacing and inspecting the old gearbox oil. Be sure to use the correct amount and type of oil.

If the old oil has a lot of debris/gunk in it, or it has been a very long time in use, or if you don't know what type of oil was in the gearbox, I would change the new oil again after one ride to make sure that the gearbox/clutch runs in nice clean oil.

Another thing you can check before opening your gearbox is the fluid in the clutch lever.

Again make sure to use the correct type of fluid and make sure that you bleed the system thoroughly and top up the fluid in clutch lever.

It only makes sense to open the gearbox after you've checked the items above.

Enjoy and success :thumbup:

+1 on the above. My friend's 4RT has a terrible clutch and my 315R a great clutch, because of the differences we started looking for causes; same size clutch, different plate materials. Also found different oils had an impact on shifting and clutch action. The tranny gears shear breakdown the oil viscosity causing hard shifting when hot so fresh oil is a good start. You won't like the price of Montesa's recommended oil, they recommend Elf HTX740, a very thin synthetic gear oil. I found a very close substitute in Valvoline Dextron VI ATF, also a thin synthetic gear oil at a fraction of the price. And the clutch action is smoother than with the Elf oil.