Tlr 200 / 250 Front Brake Assembly.

andy m

Have you got a Reflex? - you where posting earlier about Reflex/TLR differences.

Measure your front drum I.D. as while the TLR200 D/E (Red,White and Blue colour scheme and 35mm forks) have 95mm x 20mm single sided drums there are some models (Reflex, and later TLR200 F/G models?) with 110mm x 25mm single sided drums which is the same size drum as the TLR250F (but not the same hub). Or, for a quick check, the MAX ID warning cast inside the drum will be 96mm or 111mm for 95mm and 110mm respectively.

The 110mm I.D. TLR200 single sided front hub and backplate look similar to the 95mm I.D. ones with a notable difference, apart from size (which isn't obvious), that the brake arm is pressed steel, not cast aluminium, and is longer, as in this picture:

OutrightJunk069.jpg

The XR200, XL185 drums are also 110mm single sided drums but the design is different to the TLR as the smaller diameter spoke flange is a steel plate; the TLRs are single castings.

TLR200 D/E Drum I.D. = 95mm, shoe width 20mm

TLR250F Drum I.D. = 110mm, shoe width 25mm

A related thread is here: http://www.trialscen...250 +brake +arm

If your concern is braking performance I had my TLR200 (95 x 20mm) shoes relined by Saftek with an oversized "trials" lining and turned down to just under the drum I.D. and that improved them considerably. The brake was like an on/off switch the first time I used them but then became progressive. If I don't deglaze the drum and shoes regularly the performance drops off but it is much better than with the original shoes.

On the subject of drum/shoe concentricity I get the impression that in many cases shoes are being turned to size on their backplates to match the drum ID minus a few thou. clearance, but while that means the shoes are concentric to the axle, and hopefully the drum, they are not actually machined to the radius of the drum. If I had the machinery to do this I would shim the brake cam by a few thou. on each side to simulate the shoes in the "ON" position and then turn them down to the drum I.D. so that there is 100% contact with shoe and drum when actuated.

Edited by esteve