Front Wheel Rim Lock Positioning

wallo

I need to drill a hole in the rim of the front wheel for the rim lock, how do I work out exactly where to drill it?

I've been told the correct position is four spoke gaps behind the tube valve in the direction of forward travel of the wheel, thoughts please gents.

Did the person who told you give you a valid reason for this position or just give a sage like nod? I cant see that it makes any difference how far from the valve it is, as long as it is between two diverging spokes.

Not quite opposite on a 36 spoke wheel, dead opposite on a 32 spoke wheel. I have a brand new (36 hole) Morad rim sitting next to me which came with the rim lock hole already drilled; not quite opposite the valve hole.

It's normal practice to put it (if only using one) as near directly opposite the valve as possible to reduce the effect on wheel balance (these things aren't just used on trials bikes before someone says the balance does not matter - but I have known people balance wheels on trials bikes).