Throttle Bearing

shercoben12

Which bike and carb?

Are you talking Lighter or Smoother? A bearing will not neccessarily make it lighter, as you gotta trim off 2-3 rungs off the return spring to do that. Carefull though, as it is less likely to return if any dirt sticks it!

Copey, you don't even own a Gas Gas so why you in here? (lol/joke).

ShercoBen, before I got the bearing on my throttle tube, I used this stuff I bought for putting new seals in forks, it is seal grease, this stuff didn't get hard in winter, cold like many greases...

I got it at a yamaha dealer, but here's what it is I was using, before I got the bearing setup, it might be a quick/cheap/easy fix, or something to try before you buy the bearing (it isnt that expensive either, so do what you want there...) http://www.motorcycl...&WT.MC_ID=10010

yes, a bearing makes the throttle have a helluva lot less "spin" resistance, 4 years ago throttle spinning to easily, was bad for me. Im not talking a little bit easier to spin when you have your weight on them and all that, but a LOT. So my arm/wrist muscles had to get stronger, so I didnt accidently twist the throttle so much when I didn't mean to. took a couple day riding I guess to get used to it, and adapt.

you have to cut the handlebar throttle side, for the ones I got, I think it was S3 version I got. now the Raga's have them stock.

Edited by sting32

Yup been through these experiments a few times......

DONOT lube the throttle/grip tube! None. Zero. Zip.

DO NOT lube the throttle cable! None. Zero. Zip.

Clean the dirt out of the throttle tube often.

Honestly it runs a heap smoother for a lot longer with out the oil lube.

Ralphy makes good points here, primarily being the fact that you really do not want anything that will attract dirt, or turn it to an abrasive sludge compound. Clean is best!

Now when I state I do use a tad of oil, it is not really oil. What I have been using of late has been the Tri-Flow, with PTFE. Little residue after evaporation. What I want is the remainder, the PTFE, as it is slick. Another DRY lube would be something like LPS1 and or Graphite.

Even dry can be bad with dirt entry, can eat things up quickly and put them in a sorry state.

Another point of interist on the cable thing is where the cable makes its way through an elbow on the top of the carb on many bikes. This is a direct metal to metal contact point and the cable will likely wear a groove into the metal tube. As this end is generally well protected from dirt, a bit of lube of some sort cannot help but prevent wear from totally dry operation.

Do as you like, yet major point here is the fact these things do require attention periodically.

Because I still like you guys, and you need all the help you can get! :madnoel:

Wondering if you were in shape to ride anymore? haven't ran into you in a couple years, at least. hope things are well for you, merry Christmas to ya, no matter how incorrect saying that, might be to some.... :icon_rendeer:

BTW, saying to NOT lube, is misleading. with normal maintenance, using grease that does NOT get hard when cold, is NO worse than not using grease at all. if you get dirt in there from falling down {a LOT, or just once} then going DRY is probably better idea... I dont usually fall down, so when I do, I've got greasy dirt in there, especially if it tears the grips and all that.... So, when I get home I remedy the situation, just LIKE you have to without some grease. Using the slipper seal grease (IMHO) was kind of like inbetween Normal throttle, on maintained bike that is, and a bearing type throttle.

FWIW, If you leave the dirt in there because you run "dry" it chews the **** out of the plastic tubes, gets harder to turn and all that, as well...