Rear Brake Bleeding!

shercoben12

i have been cleaning up my bike today and took the rear wheel of to clean it all up and put it all back together and now the rear brake is very very weak and you have to push the lever all the down for it too work.

i presume this is just air in the system?

if it is how would i got about bleeding it?

ben

Hi Ben

If you havent already sorted the brake problem. I would say that it is probably not air in system, but the pads are too far away from the disc. When you put the wheel back on, you have forced the pads back into the calipers, which has pushed fluid back into the reservoir. If you use the brake leverl normally it only moves a small amount of fliud so the pads are not foced tight against the disc, when you release the brake the pads move back again.

I find the best way to get the pressure back is to use your hand on the lever and pump it quickly several times, this moves more fliud and the pads settle to where they should be.

Bleeding the back brake is not usually a fun job and I wouldnt recomend doing it unless its absolutely essential. It can be frustrating and messy.

Good luck

TLTEL