Ty80 Crank Seal Question

canada280i

Hi all, looking for confirmation on the following question:

My daughters TY80 has developed an idle problem, I cannot seem to control the idle speed at all with carb adjustments. I cleaned all the carb jets thoroughly and it was no better so fearing it may be the flywheel crank seal I pulled the breather hose andput my finger over the endand the revs immediately calmed right down, when I remove my finger it revs high again.

I assume this means a crank seal leak is gone, can anyone confirm the diagnosis please.

Secondly, is there anything else I need other than a new seal and flywheel puller?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Winter in Canada means I have some time to get it fixed before our season kicks off again around the beginning of April!

Sounds to me like you still have the problem. Have you checked the mains for play? Grab the flywheel and check for up and down play. Saw your first post and mains were the first thing that I have thought of. Would make a nice winter project to get 100% for spring. How old are the kids?

Thanks for the replies, I have checked the mains and they seem okay with no noticable play. I'll get the seal replaced and hopefully that (along with the new paint job I promised her over the winter) will keep her happy for a while.

For almost 40 years old the bike itself is just excellent, easy to work on, and easy for my 8 year old to handle, a natural progression from her Oset.

Thanks again!

New seals are arriving on Friday for a Saturday install. popped the stator off with no difficulty, old seal was sitting crooked on the crank, when removed the back was pretty worn and the spring was half out of the seal, likely due to wear and it sitting crooked on the crank itself. Everhything else looks to be in pretty good condition. I have ordered both crank seals just in case but don;t have a clutch holding tool to do the clutch side seal so may have to wait, unless it can be donewithout removing the clutch basked....does anyone know if it can be? or does the clutch have to be pulled to get the old seal out and new one in?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!