Beta 250 Engine Questions

starr870

I recently drained the oil in my bike for the first time after buying it and found the oil was pink, is this atf fluid? I purchased maxima 75 w oil to replace the old oil and replaced the sight glass and all the sealing washers and refilled the gearbox and found i now had a leak from the main clutch case gasket. I have bought a complete engine gasket set and tonight split the clutch side casing and left the bike on its side to completly drain out the rest of the the pink oil from the clutch area. Whilst doing the above i removed the spark plug which i have not done since i bought the bike and found a droplet of water on the end of the plug, now i don't know if i touched the plug on some coolant which i had already drained or weather i have gasket problems in the barrel area, should i just strip the top end and replace all the head o rings and gaskets as i have all the gaskets to do the job?

Andy.

Wow, I can`t remember ever having a drop of water on a plug.(At least not at home) I would put the clutch back together. Then fire it up and see what the exhaust smoke looks like. Having pink oil instead of red you might have a bad water pump seal.

id swop the water pump seal if you have one it is an easy job and then one less thing to worry about if there was enough moisture to leave a drop on the plug can you try and kick it over and see what flies out of it tissue over plug hole and asniff should tell you if its water or fuel

Thanks for all the replies, i think i will order a water pump seal while i have the casings apart for the sake of a few quid. When i first got the bike i took the exhaust apart because of an oilly fluid shooting out of the tail pipe, the silencer packing was virtually non existant and the middle box had a bit of oilly fuid which i quessed was condesation as the bike had been unused for a while.I have a used caustic soda solution to clean the inside of the middle box and front pipe that has cleared all the carbon build up from them.

Andy.

Before you order the water pump seal, remove the impeller and check for corrosion. You may need to replace the casing as the magnesium casings do fail, the new casing will be alli so no more problems. The cost should be about

Edited by jfc

Bit of an update and thanks for the advice from everyone. Have just finished putting my bike back together with new gasket and o ring on the clutch side, new water pump seal and impeller, fresh maxima mtl 75 new maxima coolant, repacked silencer and cleaned out exhaust middle box and all relevent carb mods.

Can't believe it it starts first kick everytime what a sense of achevement to do it yourself and i thought i'd bought a duffer! Thanks again for all the advice.

Andy. :icon_salut:

• Like 1

Just one more question! i had it running for twenty minutes and did'nt notice the cooling fan kicking in, how do i test that the fan is working and does it work off of the sensor that is screwed into the top of the cylinder head?

Andy.

Check water level. Leave it ticking over to see if it comes on within five mins or so (maybe longer depending on ambient temp). You can also short out the fan wires to check if its the sensor or fan not working. Search on here for it.

If you really want to test it without running the bike you could remove the sensor and place it in a shallow tray and add boiling water to the tray and test continuity across the terminals with a continuity tester, remove from the water and as it cools the thermostat should switch and break your continuity circuit.

Ok thanks for that i will try that at the weekend, what front sprockets are people using my bike came with a 13t front fitted and a second spare which is 10t, the last owner called the 13t one a "road" sprocket,i think the rear is a 42t.

Andy.

fix it right.........

does the headlight work? or does it blow bulbs as soon as you rev the bike...common issue with Technos is the condenser. or regulator as its listed on the parts scemaitc, i have the shop manual for the techno,

it controls the fan and lights, they get hot and fail, if you replace it...id bet your fan will work just fine.

even wiring it straight wont make it work, unless this is good order. you may burn up the fan motor.

email me direct at molinenorski@ {nospam} msn.com remove {nospam} and ill give you the manuals i have.