Ty80 Crank Seal Question - Part 2

canada280i

New seals are arriving on Friday for a Saturday install. popped the stator off with no difficulty, old seal was sitting crooked on the crank, when removed the back was pretty worn and the spring was half out of the seal, likely due to wear and it sitting crooked on the crank itself. Everything else looks to be in pretty good condition. I have ordered both crank seals just in case but don't have a clutch holding tool to do the clutch side seal so may have to wait, unless it can be done without removing the clutch basked....does anyone know if it can be? or does the clutch have to be pulled to get the old seal out and new one in? The clutch side seal appears to be okay as I am not losing any oil from the gearbox.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Hi

i cant answer the TY80 clutch needing removal or not because its been 30 years since i had one. (By the way the answer to this question on most other bikes is yes it does need removing to allow you to remove the crankshaft pinion)

However, as you discovered that the Flywheel side seal had been pressed in on the bonk i would let sleeping dogs lie (unless the clutch side is similarly bad). Proof is in the pudding... if you get consistent steady tickover... leave it alone.

In case you were considering removing the clutch without some sort of "special tool" , i would think twice as expensive damage is just a moment away (i remember the tears).

Dom

I have successfully removed the clutch simply by stuffing a rag in between the clutch basket pinion and the first motion pinion . This cannot do any damage as the cloth is soft enough to cushion the pinions as you slacken the cental nut. The basket is replaced using th same method on the other side of the gear mesh.

The seal is easy enough to do once the basket is out.

Thanks Charlie:

I will try the flywheel side seal first to see if it cures it and if still having issues then will try the rag method fo the other side.

I am hoping that it is just the flywheel side as before I took it apart I had it running with my finger over the case vent and it was perfect, only revving up once my finger was removed.

Thanks again.

Yea!......purring like a kitten (a kitten with a rattly top end!)

replaced the flywheel seal and she once again is running like a gud 'un.

drained the gearbox oil and got almost 500cc back out so am going to assume the clutch side seal is okay for now, i'll keep an eye on it and replace it as required.

Daughter is happy again, although she now wants me to paint it orange!

• 4 weeks later...

Cold and snowing in Canada, wife and daughter out for the day, time to tackle the clutch side seal so I know it is done for the summer. Will be using the rag method so wish me luck!

I will report back later and hopefully add some pics as I just completed the reprint for my daughter in her color of choice