Back In The Fold...'06 290

charlie chitlins

OK...I'm a Sherco guy again.

My foray into another brand was unsuccessful

There aren't many trials bikes around, so pickins are slim.

I didn't pay much, but I'm pretty sure this bike was owned by a farmer and repaired with blacksmith's tools.

Freakin' amazing what some folks will ride!

I'm sure I'll get it sorted out soon.

Damned axle pinch bolt snapped off in the front fork, though....

Damned axle pinch bolt snapped off in the front fork, though....

The 2000 Sherco I had also had a pinch bolt snapped off when I bought it. I tried drilling, easy-out and even cursing and swearing and I could not get it out. I ended up going a bit on the extreme side but this worked.

disassembled the fork down to just the lower tube, took it to local "Awesome Welder Man". He ended up cutting a channel in the fork tube and filling it in with weld. He then re-drilled and tapped a new hole to the size bolt I provided. two side effects of welding was the "pinch" area also ended up being welded, so after drilling and tapping the hole he re-cut the slit in the "pinch" area of the fork. The other side effect was the powder coat was totally ruined due to the heat.

But from a function standpoint I had zero problems with it after it was fixed and I think I rode it for about yrs after the repair, as far as from a "fashion" standpoint I used a buddies home powder coat machine and an electric roaster to re-do the powder coat in black and it looked pretty good.

Good luck