Suspension For A 240

dmc2028372

I promise I leave you all be after this one (and you woody!)

Looking at the suspension side of things now. With regards to the back the bike came with some betor shocks on that at the moment look to be working very well, damping lovely. They might pop tommorow and if they do i'll bin them and look for a new set. Suggestions? Rock shocks?, Falcons, Trickshocks?

Front end. At the moment they are as you were but feel very dead feeling with very 'flat' feel to them. Question. Do I go for a modern set like gas gas or beta forks (38mm) as some suggest, do I plumb for 35mm forks off an orange bike or do I spend the dough trying to improve the action of the originals.. Was talking to someone the other day who said he knew a chap from ohlins who could get me a set of springs for the forks, they are £90 a set mind. Don't mind spending the money but is it worth it?

Thankyou in advance gents

I run Wes springs along with homemade spacers along with Ariete XNBR Fork Seals and a spacer to permit use of only one seal per slider , slight reduction in sticktion that way . And I use 7wt bel-ray fork oil currently, and I like the action of the stock forks fine :)

Rockshocks really good, John will build them to suit bike, weight, geometry etc.

Marzzochi forks ? 30 year old springs ? New springs from Bultaco UK are about £30 + ATF will make a huge difference.

(they wont be as good as modern forks)

Falcon on the back, Magical springs have worked well in my Bultaco forks. WES springs used to be ok but the last ones I bought were useless, way too soft and nothing like those in my mate's 240 Fantic which were bought years ago. We tried them in several bikes with the same result. Too soft. WES no longer exist in the UK and have been bought by someone in Spain.

Falcons on the back are superb. I have never changed the springs in my forks, there are early and late forks; the early ones have two seals, shorter springs with 50mm spacers, and steel damper rods, as Axsulv says these benefit from modifying to use one seal instead of two. The later forks have one seal, longer springs with a spacer of about 10-11mm, and alloy damper rods. I have got two 240s, one with early forks and one with late forks - I can't really feel any difference. Both have 5wt oil in them. I might try some Magical springs though; I keep reading good things about them.

The one thing you have to remember to do after re-assembly of your front end is to bounce it hard repeatedly before you tighten all the fasteners !

Everything from the clamp pinch bolts , axle and pinch bolts and even the fender bracket . just lightly snug it all and bounce away , then tighten it all ...

When assembled correctly the front wheel and spacers should be a snug fit , no gap , or strain to fit them .... And I actually use retired ford valve springs for spacers ... Some may disagree with that , but the preload and travel works better for me than a solid spacer , my forks come to about 1/4 inch of the available mechanical travel (spring-less) and they never totally bottom out and CLUNK ! I also spent about 6 hrs playing with different spacer combinations before I settled with what is in there now . But I would still like to know how long the magical springs are , unloaded ...?

Glenn

And PS. , grib is right , get out and ride it for a time before you start making changes ... most likely the best out of the crate Twinshock bike ever !!!

I wish I could ride my bike to 100% of it's potential !!!!