Hey All!

nate

Hello everyone,

I used to ride TY50's & TY80's when I visited my cousin way back when as a kid and have rekindled my passion for bikes and off road riding just recently.

I purchased a TY125 that was advertised on Ebay a few months ago from a seemingly reputable bike dealership in Kent. I am new to trials and bike riding in general and thought it would be a good project to get the bike road legal. On further inspection and after purchasing a Haines manual, I have realized that the bike does not have a frame number. I made it clear to the vendor my intentions before I traveled to Kent from the North West and collected the bike and did not know what to look for. I was told that it was an off road bike by the seller, although before I traveled down he said I could register any bike for road use. I assume know he told me this as the bike does not have a log book. It does look as if the frame number has been removed as I have carefully removed the powder coat from the head stock. I went to see a local VOSA office to get advise about road registering but they told me to go to the DVLA. I have not yet got round to this but would be interested in any guidance from forum members as to my next course of action. The bike runs quite nicely and is as far as I can see is all pretty much original. I have also been buying all the original road kit but am hoping this is not all in vain. I have got an original light set and also a speedo but do not want to fit them until I know that I can get the bike on the road or am not going to have to hand it in or something and lose my investment. The bike does have an engine stamp but that does not seem to be an engine number more just a part number.

Any help would be greatly appreciated especially from anyone in the UK who can recommend what I should do??

Yes I paid cash on collection, not good. Thanks for your reply though. I will end up doing the right thing and speak to the DVLA when I get chance.

For peace of mind its worth knowing the truth, I think you have to make appointment at dvla, some of the staff are really helpfull. The original frame may have been damaged and replaced. You can register an off road vehicle free, this might be the way to identify if there is a problem.

Sad story ... the seller did not tell you the truth here, if you have a written contract you might can declare the deal retroactive wise invalid and get the money back as a removed serial number of a vehicle is very often a considerable defective, (this depends on the laws in your country).

But may be there is a chance to get the frame number "backtraced" too, on my TY 125 the engine number and frame number are the same.