A Suspension Observation

scot taco

I learned to ride on a TL125 and have had various twin shock trials bikes over the years,but never really trialed seriously.I,ve done maybe 7 or 8 trials in the past 15 years.I have never thought that the suspension was real important on my trials bikes.I want to get a bit more serious about it (twin shock) so I,ve been trying to learn as much as possible.

I saw the two Santigosa Classic trials clips today and noticed the black Sherp T. I,m sure a lot of it was the rider as he seemed to be very good,but it looked like his Puma Sherpa worked really well,especially the suspension in the rocks.It seemed to me to work better than most the other bikes.

Oh,and for those who may not know it,when your throttle is stuck put your gloved hand over the exhaust end and this will choke it off and kill it! I sadly know from experience that the fellow that slapped the hand of the guy reaching for the plug wire did him a big favor!

I sadly know from experience that the fellow that slapped the hand of the guy reaching for the plug wire did him a big favor!

Funniest part of that video - If the bike had electronic ignition, I'd say he was more bothered about his ignition being wrecked rather than the guy getting his elbow socket popped by a few thousand volts...

The suspension action is important but a good rider will always ride around any defficiencies as they work the bike more, a novice would benefit more as they are more static and rely more on the bike itself. The suspension action on the bike you noted could have a lot to do with the riders style and weight transfer, not just the suspension itself.

I've watched someone ride a bike at a trial and the suspension seems to work well but having then tried it afterwards I've found it felt like a plank

Yes I would have to agree with Woody.I just about lost my manhood from the tank of my ossa pennine last year and blamed it, at first,on the stock shocks,but looking back I,m sure it was more my lack of proper technique in getting over the log.There is also I guy that rides our vintage class on a bone stock ty250 who is a senior expert in the modern class. I,m sure could beat a bunch of the modern bikes with his TY as he rarely takes a dab.

It is easy to get carried away about wanting to build a trick bike when looking at all of the beautiful ones on the web.I guess I just want my bike to work as intended in pretty much tip top stock form.I agree with an article in CDB by Don Morely.I wouldn,t want sections to get too crazy for twin shocks because the bikes are too tricked out.One of the attractions of twin shock class is the fact that I can probably improve and do it well enough to have fun and still be in one piece for work on Monday.

I forgot that I wanted to add to what OTF said.I have watched my classic trials training video by Mick at least ten times and one of my favorite parts is watching him ride that rigid,I think Bantam,around that rock section.It is easy to see how he got his nickname!

I forgot that I wanted to add to what OTF said.I have watched my classic trials training video by Mick at least ten times and one of my favorite parts is watching him ride that rigid,I think Bantam,around that rock section.It is easy to see how he got his nickname!

I know i was there. It's not what you ride it's the way that you ride it.