New Rider

geeman14

Hi all very new to trials 38 yrs old in the throws of mid life crisis looking for some advice on which bike to look at problem is 6 ft 3 and 16 st and have budget of a grand any words of wisdom would be greatfully revived many thanks mark

a grand will buy you a very useable bike, it could also buy you a money pit. That's the band you're looking at so do your homework. Go to local trials and talk to people and take your time. This forum is full of good information. I would also recommend you keep a bit aside for some bar risers, I'm a little bit taller and little bit heavier (quite a bit older, but don't tell anyone) and find the standard riding postion very difficult on the back and neck. 25-35mm taller bars makes a massive difference. Good luck.

buying on condition and looking at the owner are good things to remember when buying older Modern bikes. (does that even make sense??? Older Modern??)

10yr old bike taken care of well that has been ridden by an intermediate class rider that gives the appearance of being tidy and meticulous in care of bike may have a lesser total cost to own than the same model that is only 5yr old ridden by an expert class rider that just rides it and puts it away, then rides again and barely tightens bolts if they need it.

I just bought a 2003 Gas Gas 300 pro from an expert class rider. But I have know the fellow for many, many years. We rode together as kids also. I know how well he cares for his bikes, he is pretty particular in fluids he uses, makes sure everything is fixed and tidy. He also gave me a good deal as well. But it is a 10yr old bike and was ridden at a high level until 2yrs ago when he got a new bike, so with my riding ability (crash and bash) I may find little things later on that need attention. Those things may just be because of my riding.

Basically it does help if you personally know the seller, and bear in mind the bike is used and in Trials we USE these bikes. So don't get too upset if after 3 months of riding something needs attention on a used bike, it was probably bound to happen anyway.

Every brand has its own particular little things that "go bad"

best advice is test ride as many as possible to see which brand "fits" you as far as riding position, motor characteristics, clutch etc....

over here in the states most people at events will let you take a bike for a spin if you explain that you are interested in the sport and trying to figure out which bike to go after. Also helps if you have prior motorcycle experience.....at least then you know where the controls are. (that statement will make sense after you ride trials a couple times)

Hope this clears anything up, or makes it clear as mud..... :D