Seized Engine 315R - Newcastle Area Repairs?

husty315r

Just posted in the introduction forum about my first ever run out yesterday and the aftermath of a small off thats shafted my engine.

It revved out wide open and couldnt kill it with the switch.

I am opening it up this week - anyone any ideas what I may find and who locally to durham newcastle will be able to sort the bore out for me? I am doing everything else myself.... spanners are a friend of mine :)

I feel, quite literally, sick to the stomach. booooooo...

I sympathise with your situation :closedeyes: but until you open it up to inspect it we can't advise you acurately. Seizing at full RPM is rarely an inexspensive experience. You may have nipped up the piston and got away with it, maybe sustaining a little ring damage :moon:,some people are that lucky. As for rebores, it's a little more involved than that, you may neeed to re-plate the whole cylinder....but again we'll just have to wait until you perform the autopsy. The one time I needed any machine work done on a bike I ended up at a place called Armstrongs at the bottom of WestGate Hill in Newcastle city centre, that was a long time ago. Good luck :icon_salut:

• Like 1

I feel your pain...I did the same thing in the middle of my third ride. Piston and Jug were wasted...Received the parts on Friday and I am in mid rebuild now. Not sure about the UK but I found a shop in the States that did a cylinder exchange for me. I sent the old jug to him and received a replated cylinder with a new piston and rings fit to the new cylinder. The local shop I deal with recommended doing it this way...not inexpensive but I dont have to worry about fitting a piston to the new bore. On thing that was cheap is the magnetic kill switch lanyard I'm fitting to the bike..Got that from The Splat Shop

post-17518-0-16480900-1360582534_thumb.jpg

Edited by squid_on_a_300
  • Like 1

I have not (knock on wood) seized a motor................yet.

But the 2000 sherco I had was getting a bit "tired" replaced piston in it at one time due to knocking and then the next time around I did a cylinder exchange and got a matching piston, rings and matching cylinder. The dealer I went through made sure to get me a Size "A" which is the smallest, so because I am a bit of a tight wad with $$ I could go up to a size "D" before needing another cylinder. Oddly enough I did sell the bike about a year after I did the cylinder replacement, so I guess the new owner will benefit from that. You may want to see what size piston you are getting

Is it seized or do you think it is. Happened to me once but its a short lived rev out and fuel tends to dry up before it gets damaged. Hope it is that. Worse thing to do is pick bike up as it will then fuel up again.

You've spurred me on to ask a question that's bugged me for ages.

Sorry tohear about your bike mate. This has always been a worry of mine. to counteract the problem if it ever arrises, I fitted a lanyard kill switch. it has saved me & the bike a few times, well worth the money. I have also fitted a pull cord to the spark plug ht lead just incase I need to stop the spark without getting electrocuted. I never had to so far.

Fingers crossed it is not too expensive for you.

Sorry tohear about your bike mate. This has always been a worry of mine. to counteract the problem if it ever arrises, I fitted a lanyard kill switch. it has saved me & the bike a few times, well worth the money. I have also fitted a pull cord to the spark plug ht lead just incase I need to stop the spark without getting electrocuted. I never had to so far.

Fingers crossed it is not too expensive for you.

Love your pull cord idea. Brilliant.

Regarding repairs, I would recommend Off Road Only at the top of Westgate Road (Alan Haney). Engine is basically a Honda motor which he will know inside out. Other option is Alan Winter (Al the Spanner) who used to be White Brothers and Gas Gas mechanic. Alan now works for himself (Alspan motorcycles). What Al the spanner doesnt know about trials engines isnt worth knowing.

The power of google should turn up both phone numbers.

cheers

John

When the engine revvs out because the outher throttle cable is out of it's seat at the carb (you can't stop the engine with the kill-switch in this case, don't know if the lanyard type work in this case),

you can get the revvs down by pulling out the throttle cable out of the throttle housing on the handle bar.

But you've got to be quick.

I think that when alu plated cylinders are damaged, they always have to be re-plated.

I hope you and your Monty feel better soon.

Regarding repairs, I would recommend Off Road Only at the top of Westgate Road (Alan Haney). Engine is basically a Honda motor which he will know inside out. Other option is Alan Winter (Al the Spanner) who used to be White Brothers and Gas Gas mechanic. Alan now works for himself (Alspan motorcycles). What Al the spanner doesnt know about trials engines isnt worth knowing.

The power of google should turn up both phone numbers.

cheers

John

Yup, if you run out of talent (like me) and you want someone to carry out the work for you, Alan Haney has never let me down. I can personally recommend him, I've ridden 315 's with him, bought one from him and had work done by him. He's even got a montesa 315 tattoo on his. :huh:....only kidding :P

P.S. Did I mention that he's my official photographer?

Edited by ham2

well thanks to all for your replies - does anyone know if the lanyard works different to the kill switch as that didnt work.

love the pullcord idea - i heard today that that sometimes doesnt even work!

its in bits now and the cylinder/piston is FUBAR'd.

dont know how to post images but i have them!

The concept behind the lanyard is that when you get seperated from your bike it kills the engine before it his the ground and revs out on it's side..looks like you have the same job ahead of you that i'm going through now...once you get the piston off check the rod for any up and down play from the big end or mains.

I like the previous idea of the pull cord on the plug cap...i'm planning on riding with an exhaust plug in a pocket also...I dont want to make the same mistake twice and not be prepared.