Clutch And Brake Position

brenin

on the subject of levers, I was wondering about the merit of an idea that is current in mtb riding......the current vogue is to move the m/c a long way inboard on the bars, so that the lever is pulled by 1 or at most 2 fingers.

As its mounted so far in board, your outer 2 or 3 digits stay hold of the bar, and also dont get squashed by the lever. You are using your strongest finger on the very end of the lever, so have maximum mechanical advantage.....

What do people think?

Ian

OK, reduce risk of bending and short levers reduce leverage...hence heavier action..simples

actually I believe the "short" 2 finger levers have more leverage than the "long" 4 finger levers. The area for fingers to be on the lever is shorter for the 2 finger levers but the distance from the master cylinder to the point where the index finger (1st) is actually longer than on the 4 finger levers.

I'm sorry if I caused confusion, just saying I use forefinger only on a long lever moved inward on the bar as far as possible so finger is alongside the ball end of lever to me that seems to give max leverage.

Also means your finger is at full stretch, making your finger work harder and tire faster. Which is why dog legged leavers were developed, best of both worlds.

I started out in trials back in the late 70's and early 80's, everything was cable. I was too young (read that as did not pay attention) to discern the nuances of lever placement. Sections were a bit different then also, hardly ever touched the clutch and my TY175 would idle so low it fired once every 10 mins ;) anyways.

Got out of trials in my late teens and returned many years later on a TLR200 Reflex riding modern sections against those with hydraulic clutch, brakes. HOLY CRAP did my wrist and forearms hurt after every event. When I upgraded to a Fantic Section (95 I think) The difference was tremendous, everything had such a light pull and was just wonderful to ride. After a few years my abilities progressed and I noticed more subtle nuances in clutch and brake pull. So now I am a bit particular in my set up. and set up is different for everyone.

SOOOO long drawn out useless story to say set up for what is comfortable for you and keeps you in control without being too sore at the end of your ride.

• Like 4