Ethanol E5 E10 E15

esteve

The Ethanol problem could get worse, not immediately, but possibly in the near future and probably in the USA before Europe? I've been noticing articles in Press summaries and Reports that I see at work with recent articles reinforcing one I saw in August 2012:

Drop in fuel use reignites debate over US ethanol

Financial Times, 12/03/2013, p.30, Gregory Meyer

The biofuel industry says the RIN market is signalling that oil companies should raise standard petrol blends from the 10 per cent status quo, known as E10.

Hitting the Wall: RFS2 Compliance in 2013 Wood Mackenzie Thur 07/03/2013

The US gasoline pool is very close to the ethanol "blend wall", which is the maximum amount of ethanol that can be blended into gasoline. Once the blend wall is reached, compliance with the Renewable Fuels Standard will grow increasingly difficult due to rising biofuels mandates, declining gasoline demand, limited penetration of higher ethanol gasoline blends, and the draw-down of surplus RINs generated in prior years.

Within the next year or two, unless there are legislative changes, new renewable technologies that rapidly commercialize, or a large increase in consumer demand for higher blends of ethanol in gasoline via widespread acceptance of E15 as an alternative to E10 or by flex-fuel vehicle owners purchasing more E85, compliance with the Renewable Fuels Standard will be very difficult.

In this Insight, Wood Mackenzie discusses how multiple contributors to the blend wall problem are converging and what pathways exist that could resolve the blend wall.

2012 US Biofuel Production and RIN Balances, Wood Mackenzie Tue 28/08/2012

2012 is proving to be a challenging transitional year for all those involved in the US biofuels market. The requirements of the Renewable Fuels Standard continue to rise inexorably, while the expiry of supportive tax credits at the end of 2011 has combined with poor crop conditions to shrink the margins of biofuel producers. As the EPA has released RIN generation information through the end of June 2012, Wood Mackenzie takes a mid-year look at the volumes produced so far, and forecasts the achievability of 2012 target volumes. We find that biodiesel will likely be produced well in excess of the RFS2 mandates and will have a record year, while conventional ethanol mandates will be met by a combination of physical production and drawing on the market surplus of RINs from prior years. Meeting the other advanced renewables mandate will require an influx of Brazilian sugarcane imports comparable to volumes imported during the last half of 2011. Wood Mackenzie predicts that the 10% blend wall will not a limiting factor until 2014 due to the surplus of conventional RINs that will still exist in 2013.

I think some of this is like watching a magic show

The fuel companies have everyone talking about the rule of no more than 10% ethanol

But there is a whole lot of other crap in there that they don't have to tell us about because fuel is a "Proprietary Blend"

So while we are all concerned about what the left hand is doing its really the stuff in the right hand we should be watching

I don't know what issues you have in the UK but in canada there have been a host of other things go on that have had a much worse effect on a 2 stroke engine, they get discovered (usually by the warranty department of a manufacturer), the problem disappears, then a few years later it comes back

I think ethanol is the least of our worries but if we are buying chemicals (it's gotta be at least 20% or more of what we buy), the TRUE reason is profitability for the fuel company, trust me its not for love of the environment, our fuel prices should drop, not go up

• Like 2

To much ethanol in fuel, can be a problem because it absorbes water. And we don't want to much water in our (metal) gastank, carburettor or injection system.

About the other chemical crap in fuel: This is the reason why I use Alkylate fuel in my trial bike. It's better for man and machine. It not cheap, that's why I don't use it in my other motorcycle.

http://www.aspenfuel...lkylate-petrol/

Edited by guys

To much ethanol in fuel, can be a problem because it absorbes water. And we don't want to much water in our (metal) gastank, carburettor or injection system.

About the other chemical crap in fuel: This is the reason why I use Alkylate fuel in my trial bike. It's better for man and machine. It not cheap, that's why I don't use it in my other motorcycle.

http://www.aspenfuel...lkylate-petrol/

I've seen this or similar at my local Lawnmower Sales/Repair centre and yes, it is not cheap. What Octane/RON is it? Would anybody using it care to provide some feedback?

I think some of this is like watching a magic show

The fuel companies have everyone talking about the rule of no more than 10% ethanol

But there is a whole lot of other crap in there that they don't have to tell us about because fuel is a "Proprietary Blend"

So while we are all concerned about what the left hand is doing its really the stuff in the right hand we should be watching

I don't know what issues you have in the UK but in canada there have been a host of other things go on that have had a much worse effect on a 2 stroke engine, they get discovered (usually by the warranty department of a manufacturer), the problem disappears, then a few years later it comes back

I think ethanol is the least of our worries but if we are buying chemicals (it's gotta be at least 20% or more of what we buy), the TRUE reason is profitability for the fuel company, trust me its not for love of the environment, our fuel prices should drop, not go up

Hell man, they are selling us the water! Seems nowadays any condensation or ground water just gets absorbed by the alcohol and passed on to us! Same for Diesel it seems, as I understand they are using dispersant to do the same, ant yhis way they never have to clean the sumps on their tanks they are selling from!

I've seen this or similar at my local Lawnmower Sales/Repair centre and yes, it is not cheap. What Octane/RON is it? Would anybody using it care to provide some feedback?

I use the Aspen 4: http://www.aspenfuel.co.uk/products/environmental-fuels/aspen-alkylate-petrol/aspen-4-alkylate-petrol/

Which is 95 RON.

I've also tried Aspen R (Racing fuel) (102 RON), but I did not notice any improvement to the Aspen 4. I'm a low level (randonneur) rider so I don't use the full power of my Cota 4RT.

A Beta rider who rides in a higher class than me, says he can feel the benefits from the high octane fuel.

There's also Aspen + 98 RON, but I've got no experience with that.

Aspen also sells pre-mixed 2-stroke fuel: Aspen 2 (95RON)

I use the Aspen 4: http://www.aspenfuel...lkylate-petrol/

Which is 95 RON.

I've also tried Aspen R (Racing fuel) (102 RON), but I did not notice any improvement to the Aspen 4. I'm a low level (randonneur) rider so I don't use the full power of my Cota 4RT.

A Beta rider who rides in a higher class than me, says he can feel the benefits from the high octane fuel.

There's also Aspen + 98 RON, but I've got no experience with that.

Aspen also sells pre-mixed 2-stroke fuel: Aspen 2 (95RON)

Thankyou for the information and feedback. As I never seem to use more than 3 litres/trial in the trials I ride in (TLR 200; doesn't use much fuel) and put fresh fuel in for every trial the cost for Aspenfuel isn't exhorbitant for a per trial basis. Also, I tend to built up a significant amount of unused petrol over the winter as my car uses diesel and the lawnmower and road bike don't get any/much use then. I would like to find out more about the product though in relation to additives, or rather lack of them, re valve gear wear, although its not as if trials bike do any motorway mileage for example. The manufacturer's website http://en.aspen.se/Consumer/Motor_sport does mention Motorsport use though so I'm going to give it a try.

Edited by esteve

Thankyou for the information and feedback. As I never seem to use more than 3 litres/trial in the trials I ride in (TLR 200; doesn't use much fuel) and put fresh fuel in for every trial the cost for Aspenfuel isn't exhorbitant for a per trial basis. Also, I tend to built up a significant amount of unused petrol over the winter as my car uses diesel and the lawnmower and road bike don't get any/much use then. I would like to find out more about the product though in relation to additives, or rather lack of them, re valve gear wear, although its not as if trials bike do any motorway mileage for example.

No thanks :-)

As far as I know there are no additives in Alkylate fuel. so your valve and valve-seats have to be able to take unleaded fuel.

And I think the same about the cost of Aspen fuel + the guy behind me waiting at a nonstop can breathe a bit better ;-)

No thanks :-)

As far as I know there are no additives in Alkylate fuel. so your valve and valve-seats have to be able to take unleaded fuel.

And I think the same about the cost of Aspen fuel + the guy behind me waiting at a nonstop can breathe a bit better ;-)

Breathing is over rated. I am living proof that a person can live 39 yrs without oxygen to the brain! :dunce:

• Like 2