Fim Very Very Quiet?

Some very valid points on this thread, also I find it highly bizarre that anyone would attempt to grow a sport from the top down!!! Just doesn't work like that.

If the manufacturers want to sell more bikes they need to sell the fun aspect of the sport at club level. Mind you a lot of people are lucky to be able to feed a family these days never mind stump up for new trials machines :ph34r:

Bringing back a show like kickstart would do wonders.

• Like 1

Was Kickstart run to stop allowed rules ???? Could need a LOT of editing if it would be :popcorn:

Crashmonkey said "Bringing back a show like kickstart would do wonders."

Using the work Like with the meaning similar to.

In order to showcase the fun aspect of the sport

He did not say "exactly"

I also remember seeing a couple of spots where they did stop on kickstart.

Inside a circle with stumps and they had to do this wierd floater turn thingy on the stumps they stopped and then began the floater turn thingy.

AND Here's a good one they rode up onto an elevated platform and STOPPED AND BALANCED FOR A SPECIFIC PERIOD OF TIME before being told they could move on. So yes stopping and balancing is a skill that was used, even in Kickstart.

And yes the rules for kickstart were actually different than either stop allowed or no stop, it was a special "one off" type of event, being a timed run on the entire course with time penalties for failing an obstacle instead of points for foot down. But the great part was how much it showed how FUN trials can be. That is how we get participation. Not by demanding that every event runs to no stop rules. Keep your classic twin shock events and ride no stop and have fun. I will ride the modern events and stop, balance and even hop when I can and have fun.

Edited by zippy
  • Like 3

Was Kickstart run to stop allowed rules ???? Could need a LOT of editing if it would be :popcorn:

Looks like old age is catching up with you! Yes in many places they HAD TO Stop. Kick Start was a timed and marked event with any "fails" adding to the time. Hence stopping was not only allowed as "zippy" says in certain places it was a "fail" if you didn't stop for a certain length of time or until the completion of the obstacle.

I was trying to ironic. Oh well don't give up me day job :( Thing is apart from at least giving joe public an idea, usually incorrect, of what I was actually doing on a Sunday Kickstart started the rot in the first place what with riding over cars along poles seesaws limbo etc etc. Then again nobody will agree with me on that one either. Ho hum.

Edited by old trials fanatic

Whilst current younger riders seem to want stop permitted the problem is that there are no where near enough young riders.

So if there is no where near enough young riders....what future is there for the sport ? do you go no stop or stop allowed ?....bearing in mind the youth want stop allowed,what do you think ?

my perspective on this is maybe a little different,i am an old git who rode through the seventies,obviously to no stop rules.I have a son who is eleven and is doing very well in national championships.when the rules were changed back to no stop i thought it was a great idea,a few months in i have to say i now believe i was wrong,the bikes have moved on,the sport has moved on.i watch my son learning to ride no stop and it is not as spectacular,it is not testing him as much as it was before.i am all for classic trials being run to classic rules,but the future is the young riders,we must give them the satisfaction of being in total control of their bikes.changes to the rules are not going to bring in more riders,we have to find other ways to promote our sport.wake up and smell the coffee - THE SEVENTIES HAVE GONE trying to bring them back is not going to work.

It gives me no satisfaction to state this point of view because personally i love no stop,but i am not the future,i am the past.

• Like 1

my perspective on this is maybe a little different,i am an old git who rode through the seventies,obviously to no stop rules.I have a son who is eleven and is doing very well in national championships.when the rules were changed back to no stop i thought it was a great idea,a few months in i have to say i now believe i was wrong,the bikes have moved on,the sport has moved on.i watch my son learning to ride no stop and it is not as spectacular,it is not testing him as much as it was before.i am all for classic trials being run to classic rules,but the future is the young riders,we must give them the satisfaction of being in total control of their bikes.changes to the rules are not going to bring in more riders,we have to find other ways to promote our sport.wake up and smell the coffee - THE SEVENTIES HAVE GONE trying to bring them back is not going to work.

It gives me no satisfaction to state this point of view because personally i love no stop,but i am not the future,i am the past.

What does you're son prefer......stop or no stop ?

he is not bothered really,he just wants to ride.as he gets older i believe he will feel restricted by no stop.

what ever he wants is fine with me,as long as he is smiling, i`m happy

my son is also eleven and we done a few c & d nationals last yr but he likes stop allowed with all the trick riding.

So if there is no where near enough young riders....what future is there for the sport ? do you go no stop or stop allowed ?....bearing in mind the youth want stop allowed,what do you think ?

I think that in 5 years time if all we have is the current numbers of youth riders its finished as a sport. We have two camps possibly both as blind and blinkered.

you cannot look at the current demographics of a uk trial and think there is a long term future for this sport.

something has too change. At the moment the FIM are experimenting with the rules and if that doesnt work then we need to look at something else. At least they or somebody if not them is trying.

• Like 1

Good point BL,the phrase arranging deckchairs on the Titanic maybe a bit dramatic though.

Up here we have no problem attracting "older" riders but getting youngsters and keeping them is a problem.

Promotion of Trials is poor ,we're trying hard up here to lift the profile but it's like some clubs want it a secret society.

As for this non stop/stop debate surely a deliberate stop in a section gives one an advantage,buying time letting you sort things out for the next obstacle.?

A real clutch in stop, not a did he, did he not stop where one is trying to keep moving.

Deliberate stop,one point,enough to encourage riders to keep moving but not harsh enough to deter stopping when need be.

Edited by breagh
  • Like 1