Sherco 250 Main Bearing Replacement

lamby

Thanks for the replys guys, have just placed another order with splatshop, getting a new primary gear(think the clutch basket gear will be ok),also the ratchet that Zippy mentioned and some other bits and bobs. Will let you know if these improve the situation.

Fingers crossed that it does fix it without needing to split the cases again. Hope it hasnt cost too much so far. Its a great feeling when you solve the puzzle and you should have a good bike when its done.

I sometimes think every one should be made to strip and rebuild a motor just to see what happens when you stomp on that gear lever with a size 10 boot or stab at the kickstart with out taking up the slack in the gear first. It makes me cringe watching some people starting there bikes, a guy told me on Sunday that he had snapped three kickstart shafts and thought it was a design fault, Then I saw him start it. :wall:

Sorry slightly off topic rant there.

TLTEL

• Like 1

Fingers crossed that it does fix it without needing to split the cases again. Hope it hasnt cost too much so far. Its a great feeling when you solve the puzzle and you should have a good bike when its done.

I sometimes think every one should be made to strip and rebuild a motor just to see what happens when you stomp on that gear lever with a size 10 boot or stab at the kickstart with out taking up the slack in the gear first. It makes me cringe watching some people starting there bikes, a guy told me on Sunday that he had snapped three kickstart shafts and thought it was a design fault, Then I saw him start it. :wall:

Sorry slightly off topic rant there.

TLTEL

Solving the puzzle is a great feeling.

I agree about riders understanding how the internals of the motor works. They all may not have to be able to split the cases and rebuild it, but at least should understand how it works.

I tried using the shift lever on that sherco I had as a foot peg once, I got all out of shape on a drop off and my foot came down on the shift lever instead of the peg.................SNAP there went the shift shaft.

And they do start much easier taking up the slack first.

• 3 months later...

Another update, it's been a while since I fitted the new primary gear and although that did partly do the trick it was still loud.

So since then I've managed to get a couple of eBay bargains to help sort it out( a 290 top end and a 2nd hand complete clutch assembly). Now sounding much much better . Thanks everyone with the help and suggestions.

Chris.

• 4 weeks later...