Tl125S Set Up.

hoodie2

Working on an old TL which I got as a non runner. Rebuilt it and now trying to get her to run. I set the valve timing as per a post on here, which said the marks should be lined up when the camshaft is lying with the cam lobes to the top. This involved rotating the cam sprocket 180 degrees from where it was, so I was assuming that the previous owner had set the timing wrong. Now I'm not sure. can someone confirm if this is correct. I've got a new plug, points and plug gaps at standard, points timing retarded a couple of mm and am getting a good spark. What would be the best starting set up on the carb for air screw and needle clip position? .

Thanks for any help offered.

Cheers

Hi Hoodie2

That doesnt sound right, that surely means that the valves are open. You need to set timing at tdc on compression stroke, so it was probably right before. Not sure where you got your infomation from, the mark on the cam sprocket should be at the top.

Connect it up and run it through a firing cycle by turning the crankshaft with a socket bar, watch how the valves open in relation to the piston position and when the points start to open at the top of the compression stroke. It will help you to understand how it works.

I wouldnt worry too much about carb settings till you get it running, these engines will usually run as long as you are getting some fuel in.

TLTEL

• Like 1

Thanks TLTEL. I would have got on better if I'd thought it through rather than blindly following bad advice. Bike's running now. Turned the cam shaft 180 degrees, to where it was. Als remembered that the cam had been seperated from the advance retard and had been put back 180 out also.

Now I'm off to see if I can get the carb running clean. Got standard carb and 143cc barrell. Am I likely to need a re jet?

Cheers.