Hi All A Couple Of Questions

sonny

hi all looks like i am in the right place . i have a 09 evo 290 t2 . i just took the bike out of storage as its been packed away all winter clean oil clean coolant . fuel was took out of the bike before i stored it . anyway all was fine one day about a month ago after sorting the bike out . while i was playing about in my fav riding places . i noticed the fan not coming on so thought right thats it anyway the bike overheated i stut it down and called my local bike mechanic . new stator and new rectifier later and 2 new michelin tyres . got call form the local mechanic to say your bike id fine come and collect it . i did went for a ride with the bike right away and still no fan it was still not working . after the guy telling me the fan comes on now its fine . and i noticed now the bike seems to be advancing i give the throttle a blip and it takes ages for the bike to get back down to idle it is not right it never done that before . anyway got to take the bike back on tuesday for him to fix it this time .. also on another note . i have a flywheel weight on my bike whats the noticeable difference if i do take it of cheers

I smell something fishy

No fan, Got it

Replace stator and rectifier?, very very unlikely that both failed at the same time, I don't get it

Did your headlight work?

As a general rule, a tech who replaces everything without a very clear explanation is questionable

Example: "the stator made no power so i replaced it and guess what, turns out the rectifier was frapped too"

is it possible he is incapable of diagnosing and just throws parts on.?

Still no fan, = neither the stator nor the rectifier were the cause, maybe you have a wiring problem and you got to buy the entire electrical system instead, ouch

Certainly you deserve a very clear explanation, the tech should have a "Wow your bike was a nightmare" kind of story

Did he give you your old parts back? He should have, test them and see what's up

Good luck, ask questions

right took the bike back to the shop today the guy said he dont no whats up we the bike . i said listen mate i paid u to sort my bike and its not fixed i could of chucked cash at all the parts and got it fixed myself . anyway after a hour of the guy messing we the bike he takes the thrmostat out of the radiator and tested it in hot boiling water . it worked . then he put it back on the bike and guess what the bike fan came on right away . so i bet ar the end of the day it was not the stator nor the rectifier i bet it was just the thermostat not working in the radiator . i will be going back to the shop who raped me of my money . i should have fixed it myself as i could of done it no bother but i never had the time so thought i would just bang it into a shop in town . i got my old parts back yes i tested the rectifier this morning it was fine so there was no need to put a new one on the bike and i bet the stator was fine also

Oooof, thought it sounded weird

I doubt they just tried to rob you, my guess is they just don't know how to diagnose

Definitely complain bitterly and try to reverse the bill as much as possible

Don't just let them go, it will teach them a lot when they put your old stator and rectifier back on the bike and write you a check

Now about the hanging up issue you have, is it possible the flywheel key was sheared or something in the process?

I'm thinking this was just your basic local bike shop mechanic and not an experianced Beta/trials mechanic. For future reference a short across the thermo-switch will usually tell you if it's the thermostat. The fans are known to die occasionally. The stator lighting coils almost never and regulators are pretty rare. When a stator goes on the ignition side it's usually the trigger coil that gives up.

regulator, fan. sending unit..

if your bike has the headlight, and it burns out the bulb quickly...likely its the regulator.

if the fan doesnt start,,likely the temp sending unit...or the fan itself.

watch the fan...it it just moves a slite bit..its the fan...